Considering jailbreaking 4S

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Manzanas, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Manzanas macrumors member

Hey fellas if I go through with it, it will be my first jailbreak. A couple of questions...

What happens when I plug my JB iphone onto itunes?
    Will it behave differently?
    Does itunes know that its JB?
    Will plugging it onto itunes restore the Iphone back to original condition and my JB will be gone?

JBers are always talking about "respring", what is it and why would it be nesessary for the JB iphone?

I'm new at this go easy, thanks!

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

there is no jb for the 4s! you can't the rest read the stickes up top. so you will know when there is one.. now is the time to learn

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Honestly, if you're that much of a jailbreak newbie, you should google and do some homework. Starting a thread won't help much. Also, you can't even jailbreak a 4S right now.

4. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

You are new but there is no excuse to not do a little reading before posting. There isn't even a JB for 4S yet!

You people seriously needs to learn how to use the search button or google.

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

At least you have the courage to post and ask questions first before jailbreaking. I have seen so many posts from newbies who do not know what the hell they are trying to do, jailbreaking their device, destroy their iphones and posting for help. :)

Stickies from this forums or/and google will answer all of your questions.

6. Manzanas thread starter macrumors member

There we go, someone with some courtesy. I did do some reading but still have specific questions. Since its new, some of the lingo is not going to make sense. The concepts aren't going to make much sense, ergo that's why I ask.

It never fails to amaze me how some people even bother responding just to say.....search.

BTW, I never said there ALREADY was a JB for the 4S; these keyboard cowboys need to stop assuming things and using it as a reason to take a shot at people.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

The questions you asked are right in the stickies we mentioned. Look we were all new once. It really isn't hard to learn. However The more you read and learn the more you will enjoy your jb device. Also the stockies were put there to answer basic questions.

8. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

Nothing new happens... Still syncs like before
    No it won't
    I have no idea to be honest
    It will only restore if you click, "Restore"
    Yes you will need to respring anytime you make certain changes to your phone.

People are frustrated because the questions you asked are pretty much, in my opinion the most basic questions ever... what is a respring??? A simple google search would of easily of answered your questions.

9. Manzanas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing more research as suggested.

10. ignus graius macrumors regular

JBing only changes the game when you want to update your phone software. Sync works the same regardless of whether you're jailbroken or not.

Respringing is a "soft reboot." It's like restarting Finder in Mac or Explorer in Windows.

11. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Here some help with the "lingo" :D (for some reason i like when people past that)

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

let me also throw out a tip if you get in trouble. don't go for the I think I bricked my iphone post.. stay away the only way to brick a iphone is a hardware issue. worst case dfu mode and restore. saying it's bricked makes you look foolish. ;) a bricked device is just that a brick or a paper weight. also keep a eye on the dev-team blog. on twitter fallow @musclenerd tutorial www.Iclarified if there isn't a tutorial for your firmware or device it's not out yet..

13. Manzanas thread starter macrumors member

Right on. Duly noted.

14. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not calling anyone a liar, but it is extremely hard to truly difficult to actually mess up your iPhone while jail breaking. There is ALMOST ALWAYS a way to fix. 99.5% of the time, if it is completely screwed it is almost a sure fire hardware failure. While I'm more careful with my daily driver, I'll pick up a old 3G, 3GS to toy with. Also, I frequently unlock the 3G(s) phones for a local cell shop, and I have screwed around alot while learning new things. They(at least the older ones especially then3G and back) are damn near impossible to mess up. But to the OP, just hang around here for a while, and read up. Then u should be ready when a JB is ready.

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

who said it was hard to do???? Also what's simple for some is not for others. we have seen tons of people try jbing and quite for one reason or another. also do a search on the word bricked and see how often somebody claims they bricked it. In my case that was my point it makes them look foolish..

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn it, finally the dude is considering jailbreaking and there is no JB available.
    They better hurry up and release one right now before he changes him mind:D

17. Manzanas thread starter macrumors member

LOL, well I'm still not sure. There are some things that jailbreaking allows me to do with my phone that would be useful, the question is do I really need them. I am still reading about people who say that jailbreaking decreases your battery life, and how you have to restart the phone the whole bunch of times. Whether that is true or not I don't know, but it is something that I have to consider.

18. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Once a stable jailbreak is released, and you weed out any tweaks that give your phone trouble, a jb iPhone is exactly as reliable and stable as an un jb phone, only you can have it your way. I reccommend, after due diligence..;)