All iPads Considering Keeping the Mini I Bought Last Week...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrankB1191, Oct 22, 2013.

1. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I lost my first Mini, and bought a 64GB black model last weekend. The guys at Best Buy said no retina Mini until 2014, and I have a 45 day return period. I bought a nice iFrogz case to go with it, and spent 20 minutes on a perfect screen protector install (bought for $1, but NICE!). The current Mini's display is fine by me, but a little faster page loading would be nice. Later in November sounds like a month from now to me, so I'll have to decide if it's worth upgrading. Oh well...

The iPad 5 (refuse to call it Air), looks nice. Weight reduction hit the mark nicely, but it's still too big for my front pockets. :D

2. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Take it back. Retina is night and day. You'll want it when you see it.

3. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

4. zip macrumors member

Best Buy near me went from a thirty day return to fourteen. I suggest returning it before your return period is up and getting the new one when it comes out. You'll get a much better processor and retina display.

5. FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have a rMBP, so retina is nice. I want the faster processor more, however. This sucker is going to be $70 more by itself, plus a new case and dollar store screen protector. Oh well.... :D
    P.S. The compass better work...LOL

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Why oh why would you buy an iPad mini a week before the announcement of the new ones?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL right.
    Don't listen to any retail employee about release dates of Apple products, ever.

8. joelshooty macrumors member

If you're going to keep the Mini gen1, shouldn't you at least return it and then buy it back for $30 less?

9. FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Joel, I was thinking that as well, but their dropping the 32 and 64GB Mini 1 models. I just now installed 7.0.3 on this Mini, and now it's S-L-O-W.....:confused: Hopefully Mavericks works well on my rMBP........

10. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Return the thing...no reason not to get the newest version. Even if you get the 32gb iPad Mini w/ Retina instead of the 64gb.

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I would take it back. The inconvenience that you'll suffer going back to the store is nothing compared with the difference in longevity you'll get by having the 2nd gen model.

Take it from someone who's been burned before (Mac Pro 1,1, original iPad, etc. etc.)

12. FrankB1191 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah... It's going back. Hopefully the faster processor will play well with iOS 7.

13. futbalguy macrumors 6502

This really shouldnt even be a tough decision. Your iPad mini has a processor that is several years old and is not going to last very long. The new Mini is going to blow away the speed of the old one and last several years. The screen upgrade itself is worth $80. Also, dont ever listen to the guys at electronics stores they either dont know what they are talking about or lie to sell you stuff.

14. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

They were not lying...they were just misinformed. Look in the forums swirling around here since the iPad Mini came out. Threads day after day were saying how the ipad Mini 2 may not have Retina until another refresh in 2014. I don't think the Best Buy salesman was too off base with the assessment.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I don't see a reason not to return it. Same thing happened to me with my Mac Mini. I bought one and the new one was out two weeks later. I was able to do an even exchange without a problem.

17. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

18. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

It's like the ipad 3 all over again, the processor still suffered since it had to run that retina display. Not to mention battery life was abysmal on the ipad 3 compared to the ipad 2. It took almost 8 hours to charge.

If you get the new ipad mini, it will die quicker and take longer to charge. It may also only be slightly faster than the mini. You get the benefit of retina, but ultimately there will be a cost .

19. Captain-Jack macrumors newbie

Thing is, retina is worth the cost. I got an iPad 1,2, 3 and 4, yeah the 4 is faster but it's not that noticeable over the 3, but the screen between 2 and 3 is a massive difference and the best thing about the 3.

The screen is what you look at every time you use the device, it doesn't get much more important than that.