Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I'm considering buying a Mac Mini Server in a few months to replace an 8 year old Dell running Windows XP. I'm using as a file server. This is a home/business LAN which has 7 client computers, 6 of the Macs. I've got a few questions about Snow Leopard Server.

1. Can its iCal and Address Book servers be used to sync multiple computers like MobileMe? In other words, I want it to sync a MacBook when its on my LAN but still be able to access and modify when away, having it sync upon return.
  2. It it capable of being an iTunes server to have a single music collection I can share around the house?
  3. Can the networking services be enabled independently? I don't intend on using it as a gateway, but want it to provide DNS and possibly DHCP services.
  4. I read that it can provide update services (thus saving me multiple downloads for the same data). Does it do that without the Apple Remote Desktop software?
  5. We use Microsoft Money and will switch to Quicken for Windows. Does anyone see any problems with running Windows under Parallels/Fusion on the server, and connecting from other computers to run this software? I don't want to have Windows VM software on every box (too expensive, for one thing).
  6. I intend to back up the Mini to external drive(s) using chron and rsync. I'm assuming there won't be any problems with that.

Note I've got no questions about the Mac Mini itself. It's much faster, has much more RAM and disk capacity, than the Dell it would be replacing. Should also save some money in the electric bill.

JGruber

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I'm considering buying a Mac Mini Server in a few months to replace an 8 year old Dell running Windows XP. I'm using as a file server. This is a home/business LAN which has 7 client computers, 6 of the Macs. I've got a few questions about Snow Leopard Server.

1. Can its iCal and Address Book servers be used to sync multiple computers like MobileMe? In other words, I want it to sync a MacBook when its on my LAN but still be able to access and modify when away, having it sync upon return.
  2. It it capable of being an iTunes server to have a single music collection I can share around the house?
  3. Can the networking services be enabled independently? I don't intend on using it as a gateway, but want it to provide DNS and possibly DHCP services.
  4. I read that it can provide update services (thus saving me multiple downloads for the same data). Does it do that without the Apple Remote Desktop software?
  5. We use Microsoft Money and will switch to Quicken for Windows. Does anyone see any problems with running Windows under Parallels/Fusion on the server, and connecting from other computers to run this software? I don't want to have Windows VM software on every box (too expensive, for one thing).
  6. I intend to back up the Mini to external drive(s) using chron and rsync. I'm assuming there won't be any problems with that.

Note I've got no questions about the Mac Mini itself. It's much faster, has much more RAM and disk capacity, than the Dell it would be replacing. Should also save some money in the electric bill.

1) Each user can have their own 'iCal and AB' settings configured in WGM, which will allow you to set syncing options.
2) Not sure about this one. I know you can probably do it, all though I don't and have no use for it.
3) You can pick and choose the services you want to turn on, and each one can be configured how you like.
4) Yes, Once you enable the update service, each Mac needs to be added to WGM, and the Software Update settings configured to point to your server, you will also need to bind the Mac's to the Open Directory Server.
5) I don't have any experience with this, so I can't provide any good info on it.
6) You shouldn't have any problems with this method. I personally use Time Machine to backup my Xserve and let it run on it's own.

woodlandtrek

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Are all the macs running Snow Leopard? The address book in Snow Leopard is the only client that supports CardDAV and therefore, address book server. Also, make sure you have proper expectations of what it's going to do and not do. It's not exactly a MobileMe equivalent, nor is it as easy to set up.

Can its iCal and Address Book servers be used to sync multiple computers like MobileMe? In other words, I want it to sync a MacBook when its on my LAN but still be able to access and modify when away, having it sync upon return.

talmy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
All the ones I care about are running Snow Leopard. Only a G5 iMac runs Leopard. In particular I want to be able to access and modify the calendar (and address book) from two systems in the house as well as from a MacBook I'm willing to sync when I'm at home. I don't need any push notifications. I also want to view my wife's calendar and allow her to view mine. Perhaps I should just be doing this "in the cloud" but frequently don't have Internet access when away from home.

bigbearf

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Mms

Originally Posted by talmy
Can its iCal and Address Book servers be used to sync multiple computers like MobileMe? In other words, I want it to sync a MacBook when its on my LAN but still be able to access and modify when away, having it sync upon return.
It it capable of being an iTunes server to have a single music collection I can share around the house?
Can the networking services be enabled independently? I don't intend on using it as a gateway, but want it to provide DNS and possibly DHCP services.
I read that it can provide update services (thus saving me multiple downloads for the same data). Does it do that without the Apple Remote Desktop software?
We use Microsoft Money and will switch to Quicken for Windows. Does anyone see any problems with running Windows under Parallels/Fusion on the server, and connecting from other computers to run this software? I don't want to have Windows VM software on every box (too expensive, for one thing).
I intend to back up the Mini to external drive(s) using chron and rsync. I'm assuming there won't be any problems with that.

1. MMS as home calendar server works but difficult to setup
2. Have iTunes on MMS with ReadyNAS Pro for Media. I use the MMS via Monoprice HDMI with Harmony One remote as a HTPC. I stream to Directv for music and pix. I stream to Xbox360 music, pix and video.
2. Works well as DNS server.
3. I have not tried this. Screen share works well.
4. I have Virtual Box running and run XP3 fine.
5. Backup to ReadyNAS, Time capsule, MobileMe and Old windoze machine.
I also added iLife 09 to the MMS and everthing works just like the client SL mac mini

Hope this helps.
bigbearf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.