Considering MacBook Pro but with Lion OSX?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingleburt, May 16, 2011.

  1. fingleburt macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    #1
    Hi there,

    I'm considering buying a 13" macbook pro base model, any rough idea on when or how long it will be before Apple release Lion OS and, how long after an OS release does it normally take for new hardware to have it preinstalled ?

    TIA
    Fingle.
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    Apple will release Mac OS X 10.7 Lion in the summer of 2011.
    No exact date is known yet.
    After the release it might take a week or three that all new Macs come with Lion preinstalled, depending where you buy it from.
    Anyway, if you buy when the release date of 10.7 has been announced, you can normally get a Upgrade DVD for 10 USD or so. You could have the best of both worlds that way, as Lion might be not for you after all.
     
  3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #3
    It will be coming out this summer, you can usually receive a free upgrade if you buy a mac close to the announcement of the release date.

    If you are going to need your mac for work you should probably buy it now with snow leopard, then make sure there are no bugs with software and programs that you use before upgrading to lion.
     
  4. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

    rockinrocker

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    #4
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing.

    Getting a new system just before or on the release date so it would come with a drop in disc or could get the cheap upgrade.
    Then wait till the .3 release or so to actually install it.
     
  5. fingleburt thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    #5
    Thanks for the replies guy's, I'll order my mbp soon then! It's mainly going to be used as a web dev notebook, hooked up to a 1080p display when at home. I can wait a few months though if I want to wait it out until Lion is released.
     
  6. maclaptop macrumors 65816

    maclaptop

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2011
    Location:
    Western Hemisphere
    #6
    Lately Apple's quality control hasn't been all that great. I've been using their computers for a long time, and I am taking a wait and see approach before migrating to LION. Using it for work I don't have the patience for a lot of bugs, down time, etc. For home users it's not mission critical therefore they have more latitude. If you are expecting to be able to count on your Mac to get things done, buy one now. You can always install LION after they get it sorted out.
     
  7. macDelirium macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #7
    Now, I don't have any sources or proof - but I think that at WWDC Apple will announce that OS X Lion will be available within 60 days. Just a hunch.

    When OS X Lion starts shipping with MBP's, I'll jump into a 13" MBP myself.
     
  8. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2011
    Location:
    Northern California
    #8
    I wouldn't wait, myself. I don't spend a lot of time with the OS, but rather in applications.
     
  9. daneoni macrumors G4

    daneoni

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #9
    Funny how people will spend $$$$ on a computer but balk at spending an extra $29-$129 for a new OS.

    *shrug*
     
  10. macDelirium macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    I think you've missed the point.

    1. There is a slim chance that maybe Apple will do a 'one more thing' and it could be related to MBP's.

    2. If you order a new MBP when Lion is shipping you get to have it on a cool Apple Flash Key.

    Just a hunch - as usual. :D
     
  11. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

    Prodo123

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2010
    #11
    1. Just buy one right now. Since current MBPs are already 64-bit, and Lion is pure 64-bit, there won't be any compatibility problem like the Leopard-to-Snow-Leopard debacle.

    2. When the OS is released, then on that date all MBPs will ship with that OS.

    Also, I predict that Mac OS X Lion will be released during WWDC 2011, which lasts from June 6-10. So, typically these things either release on the day of the announcement or one week after that. Just for Apple's sake, I say it releases June 14, because it's a Tuesday and it's a week after June 7th, the 2nd day of WWDC.
     
  12. stevemiller macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #12
    i'm pretty sure i know the answer to my own question, but just to clarify: a retail copy of snow leopard bought in 2009 won't work on the 2011 mbps because it doesn't have the hardware support, right? so if i want to ensure i have a copy of snow leopard that i can use on a new notebook, i should buy before the release of lion (but ideally close enough that i can get lion for $10 or whatever)?
     
  13. Jiten macrumors 6502a

    Jiten

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #13
    Yeah I agree, I'd wait a bit for the bugs to be fixed before moving my development environment to Lion. For me that means at least a year after lunch. At this point in time, SL is already very mature and reliable, I"d take that over Lion's snazzy new features anytime.
     
  14. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #14
    Disagree with everything you have said, its not worth arguing though so i wont bother.
     
  15. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

    Macsavvytech

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #15
    Absolutely wrong. A retail copy of Snow Leopards bought soon after the release of snow leopard, whenever that was will will perfectly with a new MBP.
    Its what i used to install on my 2011 MBP ;)
     
  16. stevemiller macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2008
    #16
    really? thats good to hear! i'd always been under the impression you couldn't roll back the OS to a version that came out before the hardware. takes away some of the apprehension of trying to time my purchase.

    with regards to your earlier sentiment about waiting to upgrade, to each their own of course, but having at least having a fallback option with an os thats had several rounds of updates is never a bad idea. if the OS was perfect to begin with, there wouldn't be updates ;)
     
  17. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #17
    Really, it worked??? I wonder why then we can't move a drive from an older MBP to the 2011's without reinstalling/ updating the OS from the included disk (and the version on the drive was up to date, just didn't have the files specific for the new SandyBridge)? I am surprised it worked as you are the first report that I have heard of the retail SL disk working for a fresh install.
     
  18. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

    rockinrocker

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    #18
    Drivers.
     
  19. Ccrew macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2011
    #19
    So pray tell what kind of time are you going to spend in applications if they prove to be incompatible or the underlying OS crashes? I wouldn't be in a rush.

    That's one of those :rolleyes: responses...
     
  20. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #20
    Your response makes no sense in this case. I know why you are saying it wouldn't work, drivers, but the other poster claims to have installed from a retail SL disk and it worked fine. The drivers weren't included/ didn't exist on the retail disk, which is why I am asking when switching a disk already loaded from an older MBP to the newer wouldn't it also work? The disk had an up to date version of SL loaded from a retail disk, just like was stated by the other poster. What I am asking i if it worked for that person, why wouldn't it work for my situation as well?? I haven't heard of anyone getting a retail version of SL to work on a fresh install on the new 2011 and was wondering how they got it to work??
     
  21. ormie macrumors regular

    ormie

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #21
    Lion will more likely come out in June. I think I'm right in saying the last two launches of OSX were launch around June. Anyway, you more likely find you'll be able to download it from the App Store
    anyway so you'll not have any trouble getting. To wait or not is purely down to how desperate your needs are, if you're in no hurry then hold on. Lion could be expensive or, it could be as cheap as the last OSX Snow Leopard.
     
  22. squeakr macrumors 68000

    squeakr

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #22
    Wrong. Snow Leopard was announced in June, but wasn't released until the end of August and Leopard was announced in June but released in October.
     
  23. ormie macrumors regular

    ormie

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #23
    I stand corrected,


    Cheers, Macjim.
     
  24. MH01 macrumors G4

    MH01

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #24
    He is right, with the release of SL, there were a number of bugs like FW HDs not working etc. If people are making $$$$ from thier setup, they cannot afford these issues. Hence why alot of pros waited a few releases to upgrade. Its suicide to upgrade to a brand new OS that just has been released if your productivity is dependent on it. The average user can deal with this, not an organisation. Same happens to all OS. The most stable and safest option is the release just prior to a new OS being released. Now is a good time to purchase a Apple product, prior to a new machine coming out with Lion pre-installed.
     
  25. MH01 macrumors G4

    MH01

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #25
    Purchase now. The upgrade is very cheap with Apple. Though I would recommend you wait a few releases before jumping into Lion, just to make sure any bugs/issues that arrise, will not effect you.
     

Share This Page