Considering Macbook Pro ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 1stKnight, May 12, 2009.

1. 1stKnight macrumors newbie

Greetings all!

I currently have a 17" Toshiba Satellite laptop with the Centrino Core 2 2.0Ghz chip and nVidia 8700M GT GPU.

I loathe the size of it nowadays as I originally purchased it as a multi-media machine that could play games etc.

I've since switched to consoles for gaming and no longer need to look for a laptop powerhouse albeit I want some measure of future-proofing; something that I can use for photo-editing (photography is my hobby) and internet use but still reasonably comparable to my existing laptop. My Toshiba will be given to my kids.

I have my eye on the Macbook Pro but not sure if I should go with the basic or more powerful model. 15.4 and 2.49kg suits my needs in terms of size.
    It would also be a new direction moving away from Windows - what are the advantages of the Mac OS for the Home User?

Any advice to help me make my decision? Also, is there a new model imminent I should be aware of? I don't want to buy tomorrow and find out a new model is due out in a couple of months!

Cheers,
    S

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

others may disagree with me on this but i think the 2.66 model is a great upgrade because it offers double the cache size and double the VRAM. also comes with 4GB of RAM as opposed to 2GB with the base MBP and the bigger HDD 320GB v 250GB.

the advantages over windows are quite abundant. check out THIS site to see some basic advantages over PC. in my personal opinion os x is just more user friendly on a day to day basis then window. there is the learning curve to get used to but after that you should be fine.

3. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Wait

I would wait until mid june/early july

I have the 2.66 and if you are just doing basic stuff on it I would say get a decent macbook for portability and functionality. If I were buying again I would go macbook and monitor as I do not think I am using this to its full potential yet.....but maybe I will soon????

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

17" MBP weights the same as most 15" pc laptops, so 15" MBP will be much lighter than your old 17" pc laptop.

Looks like basic version of MacBook Pro will work for you. You can also get refurb (looks new, same warranty as new, but at 20 to 30% off).

Why a Mac
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Guided tour
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Apple also provides free workshops at Apple Stores.