Considering MBA 2015 but one factor is bugging me, help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wonderstruck80, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Wonderstruck80 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am strongly considering the 8gb/256gb ssd option though there is one spec that makes me unsure if I would be willing to live with, display resolution.

I purchased about 3 years ago an hp machine with a 15" 1366x768 display and hated it. Disliked how much less real estate it had compared to FHD, the fact that I could never enjoy a 1080p movie or YouTube was bothersome as well. I told myself from that point, I'd never buy another machine that had any less than 1080p.

Coming from windows (have never used OS X in my life), I'm wondering if the experience will be somewhat different with the lower resolution or will the things that bugged me with windows carry over to OS X?

Can you guys provide some input? I'm really on the fence here. Are you able to live with the fact that the display by today's standards for this tier ultrabook kinda sucks or am I being overdramatic?

Ps - I will also likely install windows 8.1 (and upgrade to 10 once available) with boot camp.

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502

If you are worried about the screen, go for the MB retina. I have the 11" and the screen is a big let down (but everything else is beautiful).

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

Sounds like you are a candidate for the retina.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

The 13" MBA has a resolution of 1440x900, which is significantly more real estate than 1366x768.

You don't really want it to have any higher resolution (without it being a retina display) because everything on the screen is already pretty small and at the limits of comfortable viewing for most people.

Remember that your old HP screen showed 104 dots per inch, whereas a 13" MBA shows 127.

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Perhaps I'm overlooking something, but why couldn't you? Did the black bars above and below bother you so much?

6. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

To be completely honest i'd go with a refurbished 2014 rMBP 13". You'll pay less than you would for a 13" 2015 Air and you'll get a machine that's more powerful, more ram, more flash storage, and you'll get a retina display. Ask anybody on this forum refurbs are phenomenal if not better than new. Not getting into why because i've beaten the subject to death on this forum.