Considering MBP, inbuild battery putting me off

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 16, 2010.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

What are peoples experiences with them? In my old G4 I am replacing the battery every 12 months.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had my MacBook since November 2007 and I'm still using the original battery. I get about 4-4.5 hours under OS X and 3.5 under Windows XP. I'm only at 37 cycles though.

I wonder why the G4 requires such frequent replacements. I really find it doubtful that you'll need to replace the battery during the useful life of a notebook.

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

So you have it plugged in to mains most of the time? I let it cycle most of the time as it's passed around my house a lot.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The g4 batteries were a pos tbh I had the same issue wth them. New ones tho are brill!

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Originally I was not very happy about the built-in battery, but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can still replace the built in battery, you just have to go to an Apple Store or an Apple authorized shop. The replacement is included in the battery price, which is still the same as before.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't have much long term PowerBook G4 experience since the majority of them have been replace by Intel models.

I had an iBook 14" flake out but that's about it.

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

If you're comfortable swapping out a HD, then you'll have no problem doing it yourself - buy one on the interwebs and do the swap following an online video tutorial.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

No, breaking the MBP while changing it invalidates the warranty:

"Summary
    The battery in these MacBook and MacBook Pro models should only be replaced by an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Please do not attempt to replace the battery in your Apple portable computer yourself if it is on this list:

<snip>

Battery replacement should be performed only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider or at an Apple retail store. Attempting a battery replacement yourself could damage your equipment, and the resulting damage is not covered by warranty."

Should, could, and please in the sense of the warranty mean that they'd prefer you don't but cannot lawfully prevent you from doing so, nor arbitrarily invalidate your warranty. Also note that what's not covered is resulting damage. No damage, no hit on the warranty.