Considering moving to Macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheHamburglar, Jun 18, 2016.

  1. TheHamburglar macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    Hi guys,

    So currently I'm a Macbook Pro user, Early 2013 15" model. There's nothing wrong with my computer currently, but the Macbook looks really appealing to me so I just have a couple of questions.

    Firstly, is it wise for me to buy it right now? I'm a student and term doesn't start until the end of september so I can afford to wait until then. However, Apple have some promotion on right now and free beats would be pretty cool! I don't game much or anything, mainly just web browsing and carrying it to campus and what not.

    So yeah my main problem is that moving to 12" from 15" might be difficult. Is there any chance Apple might release a larger model in the mean time? Also would this weigh much more?

    Secondly, is it possible that it would be able to run CAD? My current model runs it fine (Solid Edge). It's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice just in case. I hate design anyway.

    It makes sense for me to wait until the end of september, but I also don't want new Macbook Pros to come out and decrease the value of my computer, because I intend to sell it. People are selling my computer for £500-£600 on Ebay in much worse condition than mine is!

    So does anybody have any advice for me? I feel kind of stuck, because if I buy it now, I get the free beats and I can sell my current one for almost £600, so it would not be a huge loss. However if Apple decide to release a larger one, then I'd be quite unhappy because 14" or something sounds much better than 12"! I don't know if I'd be able to adapt to the 12 :/. Are there any credible rumours from reputable people that a larger one might be coming?

    On a side note, loads of people seem to be complaining about the keyboard. I tried it in an Apple store and I love it :) the buttons feel so satisfying to press

  2. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

    Oct 9, 2011
    If apple releases a bigger rMB like a 13" it would likely be about 1.1-1.35kg

    15" is all about power and speed meant to be a desktop replacement. 12" is all about portability more meant to be a secondary device. Two different camps. It will be a big change for you. Only you will know by testing it out. This should be more important than timing the market for value. Apple has generous 14 day return policy.

    The amount your old macbook pro depreciate after the new model is announce would be about the same as the value of the beats + discounts on the new macbook. Either way don't think you gain or lose much.
  3. TheHamburglar thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    Thanks for the reply! Hmm so maybe about a 20% weight increase. I do love how light the 12 inch feels, just the fact that I can wave it around and not have to lug something as big as my pro around seems so nice.

    I see, I'm very close to opting for one to be honest! Because my thinking is that even if Apple did release a larger one, I'm not sure I would want it. Portability is key for me, and lack of ports does not really bother me tbh.

    Although I do have one more important question. Does anyone know what the screen looks like when using it at effective 1440 x 900 resolution? The default 1280 x 800 sounds way too small for me, and I think I would want to opt for the larger resolution for daily use. Can anyone tell me what it is like? Do you see any more lag or pixellation? Because by my understanding, the 1440 x 900 resolution is scaled, so it isn't really pixel doubled anymore or something. I don't understand it too well!

  4. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

    Oct 9, 2011
    Actually 1280x800, the default, isn't true pixel doubling either. Proper pixel doubling is at 1152x720 from the native 2304x1440, but many feel it's too cramped. 1440 x 900 gives you more room, little less sharpness with font rendering, but I don't think its noticeable for normal usage. Some reviewers said 1440x900 lagged a little on the 2015 model under heavy usage in chrome browser, but 2016 has slightly faster gpu so that be less of an issue I assume.
  5. TheHamburglar thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    I see, luckily I never use Chrome! I do see fuzzier fonts even on my system when I set my resolution to 1680 x 1050. However to be honest, I just tried 1280 x 800 on my computer by down-scaling, and it's not that bad compared to 1440 x 900 which I use normally. I can still work fine with documents and what not, and I usually use my apps full screen.

    I think my mind is made up really! I just hope I don't regret it :|

    Although any input from CAD users would be great
  6. KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    I don't mind the 1280x800 but have used 1440x900 occasionally with no noticeable performance impact.
  7. bryan.cfii macrumors member

    May 13, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I'd also like to hear about CAD experiences on this machine.
  8. TheHamburglar thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    If it is worth anything, then benchmarks for the m7 put it roughly on par with my 2013 MBP. And my computer runs Solid Edge fine! So it could work? You could get plenty of screen estate too for it by setting a higher resolution. I hope it turns out well, because I think I'm going to order one!
  9. bryan.cfii macrumors member

    May 13, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Oh, thanks for making that point. A lot of people right it off as incapable.
  10. killaz05 macrumors member


    Mar 7, 2016
    Brandon, FL
    I used the 2015 min spec Macbook when it came out and it just didn't meet my performance requirements so I upped it to a mid 2015 MBP 15". While I had the macbook, it ran AutoCAD just fine. I am unsure what Sold Edge's requirements are but I know AutoCAD utilizes one core for most of the time. Only utilizes more cores for regening the drawing and rendering. The biggest issue with any CAD program is RAM. The Macbook only has 8GB so unless you are making large complex drawings, the macbook should be fine.

    If you are looking at getting the current deal, I would say go ahead now and get it. You will get more money for your current MBP because the value is only going to go down with time and I don't feel Apple is going to release a new laptop until the fall and even then the laptops might not be out till January. Just my thoughts on that. Also if you feel the 12" screen is a bit cramped which for CAD work, you want space to work. Pick up a decent monitor for the Macbook to do CAD work at home. The 12" is fine for working at school or someplace temporary but when you get home just plug it into the monitor.
  11. Isamilis macrumors 6502a

    Apr 3, 2012
    Have you tried typing and working on macbook? Moving from screen real-estate 15" plus speedy processor and good keyboard might become your concern of comfort. I would suggest, borrow from your friend and try it about 1-2 hours running your frequently-used apps. I did that and I don't like the keyboard and screen is too small.
  12. TheHamburglar thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    Thanks, I think I'm going to take that advice :) I also think that even if Apple did release new MBPs this fall, with all the other products they have to release too (Watch, iPhone, Mac Pro/Mini), are they even going to have time to release a larger Macbook? That's my only worry really! Even if they released a slight spec bump or something for the Macbook, I wouldn't mind. Just not a larger screen please :ss

    I think 8GB should be okay if my current computer handles it fine, since that also has 8GB. I just don't know how processor intensive the software is really. Saying all this, I shouldn't have any massive complex assemblies or anything, it's just for design projects we get and I can't imagine there will be too many assemblies/sub-assemblies. Monitor sounds like a good point, I should be able to plug it into the monitor I currently have so it'll be okay at home. I usually like to work on CAD with others in the library though, so I might miss that extra bit of screen estate! No biggie though.

    I've tried the keyboard and I actually like it :) My current keys feel really mushy compared, and I love how precise the new keyboard feels. I appreciate it's very different and not for everybody! The way I'd describe pressing it is like pressing the iPhone home button, I like it!

    But yes my main concerns were processor and screen. After doing a bit more research and not just posting here, apparently the benchmarks put the latest Macbook on par with my current Pro (3 years older), and my current Pro is excellent performance wise, no complaints.

    Screen might take some getting used to :( But hey, I reckon it's worth sacrificing 3 inches if it means I can use it as an ultra-portable!

    I think I'm going to order one and see how it goes :) I'm assuming that I have 14 days to return it from the day it arrives? Because the order estimate is 28th June...

    Thanks all, hope to join you on the other side soon, and I hope Apple don't release a 14 inch Macbook this fall, or a super thin Macbook Pro :/
  13. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Jun 14, 2010
    Have a look at Activity Monitor while doing stuff to get a sense of whether the application is memory bound or cpu bound. The retina Macbooks are great at bursty cpu usage, and show their limitations in constant high cpu usage scenarios. I don't do CAD so can't say anything helpful about how that will work.

    Coming from a 13.3" MacbookAir I honestly don't notice the smaller screen. I think it's because I tend to sit the thing a wee bit closer than I did with the MBA, and thus the apparent size difference is less.

    Best way to know for sure is to try it out. While some try it and find it isn't for them, better to know from real world experience than based on supposition and anecdotal stories from a bunch of Anonymous Internet Strangers who may or may not have ever touched one.
    NEVER EVER assume about return policies. See
    To be safe I'd also consider the day you receive it to be Day One.

    If they do, and it's a substantially better fit, then you sell what you have and buy the replacement. The cost difference can be consider the price of having a newer/better system for the intervening months.
  14. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

    Oct 9, 2011
    Yea, you have 14 days to return from the date it is delivered. Even after 14 days, you might still be able to return Apple isn't strict on it.
  15. KPOM, Jun 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016

    KPOM macrumors G5

    Oct 23, 2010
    Apple usually gives a little more leeway on online orders. You can find out the exact return date by clicking on the "return items" button on the order page after you receive it. At least in the US, Apple then gives you some lead time after initiating a return. I decided to move up from a 256GB to 512GB model and initiated a return on Day 14. I was able to hold on to the 256GB long enough for the 512GB model to arrive, which made transferring the files easier.
  16. toddzrx macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2012
    From reading your post, it sounds like portability is your main concern, which the MacBook obviously excels at. You're ok with the keyboard, and you have a monitor to plug it into. Also, you'll maximize the selling price of your current machine by selling now, along with getting some discounts on the MB along with the headphones.

    I'd pull the trigger if I were in your shoes. Besides, you can always return it.
  17. nnyymm macrumors regular

    Nov 30, 2010
    Also consider that even the new MacBook have AR coating issue, it scares me when I'm buying any "new" macbook that was released. Can't believe I have to be oblige in buying a screen protector for the beautiful screen to prevent it...

    The apple online store that I buy from is ALWAYS prone to defective Mac and iPad. However, Telco's iPhone have no issues though.
  18. TheHamburglar thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 13, 2014
    Thanks dudes, I have ordered myself a lovely gold M7 config :)

    It's shipped too, I have the order reference from Apple, (WXXX...) and a 10 digit order number starting with 8. Anybody know how I can use these to track it? It's to the UK :D
  19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    A protective cover won't help, if there is an AR coatng issue its down to faulty manufacture, it is pretty darn rare you are highly unlikely to encounter it and every piece of eelctronic equipment you ever buy can fail at any time for any number of reasons. That's what warranties are for.

Share This Page