Considering my first Mac, is it right for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sanjo, Nov 2, 2016.

?

should I move to a mac

1. yes, try the new mbp

50.0%
  2. yes, but try a different apple computer

25.0%
  3. stay with windows

25.0%
  1. sanjo macrumors newbie

I've been saving money for a while, and am considering my first new notebook in 5 years.
    I've narrowed it down to the Dell xps 13 or the new MBP 13. This is because 1.it will be my main computer. 2. I travel a lot, so it will be great to have something light and portable, yet powerful. I felt 13" is the best size.

One of the reasons I'm interested in switching over is all the talk about the Mac experience. I've tried other people's macs for short periods. But never long term, so I won't know how it really feels. I also like the screen. Keyboard on the new one is so-so. I don't hate it. but I can't say I'm a fan of it.

The things I use my notebook for

- ALOT of writing for reports and presentations. I publish weekly. currently I do this using word, excel, and powerpoint on windows. Although lately what I've been doing is writing all my drafts on google docs, then doing all my final edits on word. i have a work desktop that runs Windows. So I'll often write it on google docs, then come home to my laptop and continue there so I don't need to bring my thumb drive.

- I make a lot of maps using ArcGis. It seems there's no mac version yet

- at home, watchng a lot of Hd videos. Also do some online games like overwatch with friends on the weekends

- Also I like to do a lot of retro console emulation. NES, SNES, Playstation 1

- I live in Japan but travel to the US, so I like how I can go to any apple store in any country if I had a problem

what would you guy srecommend, make the jump to Mac?

2. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Because you've tried Macs and are obviously not convinced I'm inclined to say you should stay with Windows. But remember Dell are not the only 13" game in town.

3. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Hi, I'm sorry but you will not get much answers as the whole forum community is busy criticizing new MacBook :).

Bare in mind that here at Macrumors there are only 30% genuine apple products users and 70% trolls from competing companies - PC market is really tight nowadays, as many regular users switched to iPads.

If you want to try mac just buy one - you still can return it, if you don't like it. Honestly I don't think you will ever go back to windows. Your experience will depend on how deep you are submerged in windows-like workflow. Switching to mac and trying to use it as a windows machine will give you not nice first impression (been there...).

I'm using MacBook Pro for scientific computing. I'm using both ArcGIS (via virtual machine) and QGIS - which is free and way better than ESRI - and you have a mac version!

I'm regularly using without problems:
    GIS software not only ESRI
    CAD -AutoCAD, ArchiCAD (all have OSX versions)
    CFD modeling software -OpenFOAM, ANSYS CFD
    Urban water systems modeling software (DHI, Bentley, Innovize etc.)
    Python/R programming suites
    + you have a free Xcode for scripts development

Many super graphic and graph production software which is not available for windows.

Just contact me in private if you want more hints - I will not rely on prompt answer here.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Also bear in mind that if the 2016 MBPro doesn't quite suit your needs, the 2015 release is still offered in the Apple lineup.

If you will continue to use and need "legacy ports" for a while to come, it might be the better choice.

It's considerably less money, as well.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If you're on the fence, I would go with a lower end MBP, whether it's last year's model or the current low end model.

6. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

70% trolls from competing companies - how on earth did you arrive at that figure?

7. sanjo thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! is the QGIS an easy transition from Arc?

also but unfortunately, in Japan, returns are not very common here. I know it is common in the US but unless it is broken, I don't think they will take it back :/