Considering my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Warelin, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Warelin macrumors newbie

Hi, I currently do not have a Macbook, nor have I ever owned one. However, I'm currently saving up for a Mac.

I plan on doing something media-related for a career and likewise will have Photoshop CS4, Indesign CS4, and Bridge CS4.

Do I need a Macbook Pro or would a Macbook do the trick? Itunes would be run while I work most likely. I'm currently a college student. What would you recommend?

2. p.luik macrumors regular

It would be great if you could get an MBP. When CS4 allows for processing by the GPU, it will great for you to have an MBP with a graphics card. Get an ADC Student membership like I did. (I am a college student as well) I got a great deal on my Mac Pro.

Store link: http://store.apple.com/us_adc_38839

3. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

I clicked your link and got "Unable to enter the requested store."

4. p.luik macrumors regular

Sorry... Google search "adc hardware" and click on the link. This is just so you can see prices. Joining costs $100 and you get one discounted computer.

5. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

1 ADC Hardware Discount

About how much of a discount would it be?

6. p.luik macrumors regular

$400 off the base MBP. Every upgrade for the MBP is discounted too though, so the more you add to it, the more you save.

7. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

Would the normal student discount still apply? If it offers such great deals, why is it only 100? (So, presumbly, I can buy a MBP for 1599?)

8. p.luik macrumors regular

It is such a good deal because they are trying to get their computers onto young developers hands. The normal student discounts do not apply because it is technically the business store and not the education store.

9. Warelin thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard Drive A Serial ATA hard drive gives you more space for data and applications. Choose among several capacities at drive speeds up to 7200 rpm.

Hard Drive
    200GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm 250GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm [Add $40.00] 200GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm [Add $80.00]

Does RPM really matter? Are there any features which should be included/recommended?

10. p.luik macrumors regular

If you have enough computer knowledge, you should upgrade the HD yourself after buying one from macsales.com You can get a 500GB HD for $180

Otherwise, the 250 GB would be your best bet.