Considering new Macbook, but some Qs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by suicidal nun, Dec 26, 2008.

1. suicidal nun macrumors member

I am looking into a Macbook to replace my current 2.16GHz MBP but I have a couple questions first. :)

1. I use my laptop mostly for aim, internet, writing papers, and movies; although I do use Final Cut Pro and Photoshop for the occasional project. I also do some light gaming such as Civ4, WC3, AoEIII, etc. With this in mind, sounds like the 2.0Ghz Macbook might be the best fit for me but I'm wondering how much of a difference is there between 2.4GHz and 2.0GHz when it comes to heavy processing (FCP, etc). Does that extra 400MHz (and two LED bulbs :p) really help?

2. At first glance, it seems that my two-year old 2.16GHz MBP might be a little faster than the 2.0GHz MB but I highly doubt it because of newer technology such as DDR3 ram and faster bus speed (Penryn), am I right? If so, how much faster can I expect the MacBook to be?

3. I plan on swapping the factory hard drive with this: WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200rpm. It's basically just a "swap HD and reinstall Leopard" task? Any tips/suggestions?

4. I currently have a old SeeThru on my MBP and it adds quite a bit of bulk which makes it a pain for traveling / going to class. I've read decent reviews of the new Satin SeeThru, but was wondering how much bulk it really adds to the MacBook?

5. I also have an iPhone and was wondering how difficult it would be to transfer my iTunes information to the new laptop? I don't want to risk losing all my apps and data when I sync my phone with the new Macbook. Note: I won't be using migration assistant/super duper with the new laptop. I like a fresh start.

6. Has anyone have any experience with the Apple Credit Card offered by Juniper? I am considering using my Christmas money + selling the MBP + getting an Apple Credit Card. But if needed, I can save up a little longer.

7. When is the next "expected" refresh for the MacBook? I probably will wait until after MacWorld to be on the safe side, but is there a chance of a update soon?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm excited!! I cannot wait to get my hands on one of those beauties. :D

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

1. Yes, get the 2.4GHz. It will be very helpful, particularly in FCP or gaming. Note however, that your MBP has a separate video card, which the new MacBook does not have.

2. The new technology in the MacBook makes the 2.0 run at an overall better performance when compared to the previous MBP.

3. The great thing about the new design of the MacBook is how easy it is to swap the hard drive. Just install Leopard and you're set.

4. We sell the Satin SeeThru at my work. They do add a bit of weight, not as much as the plastic case on your MBP though. It looks a little better, too.

5. You'll need to copy your iTunes library over to your new machine. Just use an ethernet cable.

6. Sorry, never tried that.

7. Probably not for a while, since it just came out in October. I'd say May -- at the earliest.

3. suicidal nun thread starter macrumors member

You kinda got me thinking, and I did a little research and found that the MacBook's 9400M is basically on the same level as my MBP's X1600. Found the info here. Sweet stuff!

I have my iTunes library on an external hard drive, would it still be fine if I transfer that over to the MB?

Bummer! :p

Thanks for your help! :D

4. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

1. You're best off with 2.4GHz, considering you play games, with the 4gb of ram in there, the fps count will be very high, even in intense moments, you may see some pull, but not much. Personally I think those 2 LED's are worth it :)

2. New Processor = New speeds. The macbook processor would be alot faster.

3. www.ifixit.com will help you out there.

4. Personally, don't waste your money on protective plastic cases, dust can get caught inside them, and rub against the macbook causing scratches.
    If I were to get anything, I'd get an applesac, they're snug and look great.

5. Well you could use Senuti (http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/) that's basically just ipod/phone>itunes, instead of itunes>ipod/phone. I really do feel like a tool with all this advertising :| but hey it works.

6. Never done it so can't help you.

7. I'm guessing something minor will change at macworld, but not a major update for a while. :)

5. suicidal nun thread starter macrumors member

If I can afford it, I would definitely get the 2.4 :)

I actually like the applesac, they look hot. I also need to look for a decent (and light) messenger bag for traveling. Ideas?

Oooh, awesome! Thanks for the advertising! :p I will definitely check out Senuti. Will it transfer my applications / games as well?

6. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

1. I use mine for mostly "productivity" type tools at work. I got the 2.4G in case down the road a new OS version needed more power. I figured it would extend the useful life a little. I also bought the Crucial aftermarket 4G upgrade for using VMWare/XP with some stuff I had to keep. if you are going to upgrade the memory I would just have them do it at the store. It's not difficult to do at home but at the time it was the exact same price ($150) at the Apple store with their installation.

5. I just copied the Music folder over from my PC and plugged my iPhone (1 gen) in. Everything just worked. I had expected to have to do more going from PC to Mac but it was straight forward.

6. I actually did this in October when I bought my MB. I did everything at the store using one of their machines. If you do decide to do this, I'd recommend you fill in the forms at home so you are not doing it in public (fortunately it wasn't that busy in October). In any case, you should get a printout with your specific details and a bar code. Just bring this with you. A couple of weeks later (must depend on how much you spend) I got a $25 iTunes card.
    ** NOTE ** The interest rate on this card is ridiculous ~16.9% or something. Even though there's no interest for some period of time I just paid it off and stopped using it.

7. I wouldn't expect an update but then again, one never knows. If you wait until January and they don't show -- will it be Feb, April, or June? Sometimes you just have to do it. It will be old once you get it anyway...

7. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Yeah, they do have refurbs up now, don't they? so you could get yourself a pretty sweet deal..

If you don't mind spending the money, http://www.acmemade.com/ have some alright designs, a bit posh, but have been said to be very good.

Then there is http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/ I believe they have a sale on now, You're best off designing your own messenger bag because their on display ones aren't..well.. that intriguing you may find a couple though.

I'm not so sure if it will do apps/games, but they may have updated it to cater for the ipod touch and iphone, I used it for my nano 3rd gen, worked perfectly. So I'm guessing they've updated it.

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Video editing is very processor intensive so in this case I'd say get it. Normally I advise against processor upgrades but I believe the 2.4 has other advantages as well such as the backlit keyboard.

Nobody knows when the next refresh is.