considering new MBA- Audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jboyd710, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jboyd710 macrumors member

Considering a new MBA "13 to do some mobile tasks, basic email, web browsing, Etc. However, I was also considering it to do a small amount of audio work, mainly just some pro tools. I was thinking of I7 and 8GB upgrades. Any thoughts? I wouldn't be doing any extravagant 30+ track with tons of plug ins. Maybe 10 to 15 tracks and about the small with plug ins. Thanks guys!

2. torana355 macrumors 68020

The i7 with 8gb of ram should handle that nicely, any tasks that don't require a dedicated video card run extremely well on my 2011 MBA. Im about to upgrade mine too but i cant decide how i should spec it, im leaning towards the i5, 8gb ram and 128gb SSD 13"... decisions decisions. :p

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Never seen a MacBook Air in the studio, but this new MBA may be able to get the job done. have u used logic?

4. jboyd710 thread starter macrumors member

I am a logic newbie, I have used it before but briefly.

5. Astrofox macrumors member

I just ordered an i7 with 8GB ram. As far as I know audio programs benefit from a fast hard drive more than anything, so the superfast SSD in the new air should be pretty nice. I plan on using Logic with mine, and have heard people have no problems with recording on earlier airs.

The thing I'm interested in is the talk of "pro apps" being able to use the Haswell GPGPU functions, which could support the CPU in intensive tasks. Cant find much on that though, would probably come in an update well down the line.

6. audiokid macrumors newbie

I work with audio too, but for my job and more like 4-8 tracks. No plug-ins. Adobe Audition 3.0. Right now I edit on a work PC, but need something as a safety net in case of another Sandy type superstorm leaving me unable to get into the office.

I've been struggling with the 13" MBA vs. older 13" Pro question a lot lately.

I also like a nice, big clear screen so I don't have to click around as much and zoom in and out as I edit.

If I get a Pro I'll get a refurb. and maybe the 15" one w 8MB of memory. If I get a 13" MBA, I'll buy the one just released, also w 8MB. Also want a SSD in either case.

Decisions, decisions. These choices seem so similar!

7. jboyd710 thread starter macrumors member

Update as in hardware or software?

----------

Its true, ive been waiting on these processors for awhile and to me just to put it in the air is kind of lame for apple to do.

8. Astrofox macrumors member

Software; they mentioned that the hardware is already present in the MBA Haswell chips (WWDC presentation IIRC)- I imagine more apps will use the feature as the other macs lines get updated.