Considering new Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by gogogut, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. gogogut macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    #1
    Hello,
    With the possible announcement of updated Minis, I may consider finally upgrading from my older Blackbook with Snow Leopard connected to a monitor. But I was wondering what I would do with the 128GB SSD I have installed in my Blackbook. Is there a way to have it be the system drive on the mini, with the HDD for data? Or is it either SSD or HDD? I was hoping to avoid having only the SSD and having an external drive attached.
    Thanks,
    RJ
     
  2. lbjsong macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
  3. hfg macrumors 68040

    hfg

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2006
    Location:
    Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
    #3
    Yes, what you described is a good plan IF the new Mini will accept 2 drives like the current ones do with a cable and mount upgrade kit from OWC or other.
     
  4. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #4
    I'm really trying to understand why people are asking questions like this. All anyone knows is what the rumor sites are saying right now, give it a week and we'll actually know.
     
  5. gogogut thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    #5
    That is why my original post included words like "possible" and "considering"

    ----------

    Thanks hfg. From what I have seen online about the current mini, it is quite a challenging task to install the data doubler. Hopefully the new mini makes it a little more user friendly. Though I am not holding my breathe.
     
  6. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #6
    Yours was actually better than most, sorry. The massive rampant speculation just gets a bit annoying at times.
     
  7. thestickman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #7
    Decided earlier today to invest in a Mac Mini. Plan on adding RAM and using it to run my DAW's on.

    Saw the refresh might be happening. I can afford the $600 price point but anything higher means putting off the purchase till middle of next year (yuck!)

    The 2.3 i5 would be fine...but I'm thinking the newer chipset would be very cool but am concerned the price is going up...grrr lol
     
  8. hfg macrumors 68040

    hfg

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2006
    Location:
    Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
    #8

    The task is really not too bad, you just have to go slow and be careful with 4 small, delicate connectors so as not to break them (at least with my experience with the current 2011 model). The OWC upgrade kit even comes with a step by step manual with pictures (plus the cable, tools, and drive mounting grommets).


    -howard
     
  9. fig macrumors 6502a

    fig

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #9
    There's no telling what may happen, but Apple increasing the price on a revamped product would be out of the norm.
     

Share This Page