Considering new wireless router, best one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 156457, Aug 21, 2011.

1. 156457, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

156457 macrumors 6502

Hi,

My old Belkin G router needs replacing. I have a synology NAS, PS3, ATV and as you can imagine it gets a little overwhelmed, although has coped well considering the load.

I'm in the UK and preferably would like the router to be ADSL compatible so I don't have to have a separate modem to connect. I'm debating between the Netgear N600 and an AEBS. I know AEBS doesn't have a built in ADSL modem but I'm will to sacrifice that for the Apple brand and the fact I have an all Apple household (Macs/iPads/iPhones etc).

The market seems crowded and I need some decent reviews/recommendations from other Mac Users who have routers that work well with lots of devices attached. Don't really want to spend more then £100 but can stretch to £130.

Cheers

PS. After the initial replies, I'm happy to go with a seperate modem/router setup, so no ADSL built in required. Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Netgear WNDR3700.

And if you want quality, give up on a modem/router combo. I've never had one that performed as well as having the two separate.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Linksys E3000 with DD-WRT. Hardly any router can beat it in performance and features. No ADSL modem built in but would not recommend it anyway. Just turn off NAT on the modem and should be good to go.

The Airports are a good second choice. Don't get all the features of DD-WRT on that - wake on lan for all using web ui, local caching DNS, great configurability etc.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - I actually have the E2000 and really love it. It's been very reliable and has excellent throughput and transfer speed. Ping speed over LAN for me is 26ms compared to 25ms when directly connected computer-to-modem. :)

5. 156457 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your suggestions! Have added them to my list to research :)

Anyone else have any suggestions of decent routers?