Considering purchasing an iPad on Craigslist. Will Apple honor exchanges?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nikos, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

So I've decided on upgrading to a 64GB iPad because 32GB isn't really cutting it. I checked craigslist out of curiosity and some people are actually selling them at below retail. I can save $60-80 if I go this route.

I usually buy Apple products directly from Apple, so I'm not quite sure how this will work. Will Apple honor their 14 day exchange policy if I have any defects (screen tint, dead pixels, backlight leakage etc.) or will I have to go through the genius bar?

I'm assuming they'll send me to the genius bar since I won't have a receipt, but they may not since the device was just released. I'd rather pay the extra cash (mostly tax) to ensure having a good unit in the end.

2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

Just go buy a new one. Once you factor in your time allocated in this plan to get a new unit from apple you will have wasted lots of time. Let alone who knows if they will honor it.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If the device is under warranty, they will honor it. I would get the serial number and run it before I purchased.

For 60 to 80 bucks, I would consider going to the Apple store. :apple:

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Get it from Apple. The extra $60 is worth it for peace of mind.

5. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

I suppose you guys are right, I guess I'm just being cheap. :eek: If they will exchange it with no issues though, it's sort of worth it. It's very easy to find one on craigslist around here.

6. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Unless they're below retail because they're stolen

7. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

Wirelessly posted

You have to ask yourself why would someone sell that much below retail? I believe that if it's too good to be true then something is probably up..,

8. doboy macrumors 68000

They made not exchange it if the product was HOT (not referring to temp).:rolleyes: Why would someone sell it on CL for $60+ lower if it's still within return period unless something isn't kosher? :confused:

9. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Even if it's "hot", it won't make any difference. Apple doesn't track stolen iPads.

10. doboy macrumors 68000

Speaking from personal experience?:p

11. aneftp macrumors 601

Someone selling "new iPad" for anything below retail plus applicable sales tax is either lying and trying to sell u iPad 2 since they look the same when not powered on.

Or an idiot.

Cause apple has 14 day return policy for full refund no restocking fee even if opened and best buy has a 30 day no restocking fee even for opened tablets now (best buy changed their policy from 14 to 30 days).

Considering iPad has been out less than 14 days why go through hassle of reselling at a lost on Craigslist.

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Sounds to me like you might want to scam Apple.

Let's buy it at less that retail and return it for the full retail amount... Maybe say it was a "gift" or something...

13. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

How is this "scamming" Apple? They received full retail for it and would refund the same amount. It's a wash for them.

14. rookiezzz macrumors regular

60-80 bucks is almost the same buying the ipad without tax. Why don't you try to give a call to MacMall? They don't have tax usually (They do charge tax in some states, you should check it with your state).