Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
LA
I've just switched broadband providers and they sent me a free router, but a friend of mine has told me for years that broadband companies have software installed with the router what does not allow the internet to speed up to it's maximum allowance. Just wondering if this is true? if it's the case then I'll be even more interested in buying a new router.

Anyone have any recommendations on routers? or is the Airport always a good bet? :)

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I have the Express and while it may not be the most advanced router out there I am very happy with it. Extremely easy to set up and covers both floors of the house with no problem.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
I would highly recommend the Airport Extreme or new Airport Express. I have two Airport Extreme's both are still going strong. I bought my first Airport Extreme and then upgraded when they came out with the dual band. I also have an Airport Express in my daughters room giving her internet access and I also have an Airport Express in the garage to provide ability to play music. I've never had any problems with any of mine. My brother in law had a Linksys router and he had to constantly reboot his router. He bought a dual band Airport Extreme and does not have to do that anymore. My two cents...

benji21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
LA
I would highly recommend the Airport Extreme or new Airport Express. I have two Airport Extreme's both are still going strong. I bought my first Airport Extreme and then upgraded when they came out with the dual band. I also have an Airport Express in my daughters room giving her internet access and I also have an Airport Express in the garage to provide ability to play music. I've never had any problems with any of mine. My brother in law had a Linksys router and he had to constantly reboot his router. He bought a dual band Airport Extreme and does not have to do that anymore. My two cents...

Thanks for that :)

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I guess I am on the other side of the fence.

1) Express is not as good as Extreme
2) Extreme is only "fair" when it comes to wireless connectivity
3) The software to control either Express or Extreme is limited
4) Over priced (Extreme) for what it does

So yes, I do have both and in fact a bridged set of Extremes because my needs at present are within the ability of the Apple units. I also have used various other routers and highly suggest you go to SmallNetBuilder site which has complete reviews of routers and many comparisons. My biggest beef with the Apple products (other than the cost being a bit too high) is the limited controls available and no web interface per se. Whether you want to handle NAT, various safety controls or some simpler options, Apple is known to be quite lacking in what you as the end user can do but in exchange creates a rather simple interface.

Just my two cents

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.