Considering refurbished MBP however...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ice Dragon, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

My mind changes so often, though I'm considering buying a new MacBook Pro.

I'm curious as to what kind of condition the MacBook Pro appears in when you buy it. Is it like new just without the packaging?

Where are these refurbished Macs from anyway? Do people trade them in? I know these are dumb questions though I'm curious.

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The refurbished MacBook Pro will look like new. They come from repaired computers, cancelled orders, etc. You'll basically be getting a new computer without the fancy box.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^ What he said. Plus, Apple does extensive testing on them to ensure you get a great machine.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Some people have actually received what they would consider better condition than a new one. This is because it goes under a much more thorough QA test than the new units too.

At the end of the day it just depends if you want a nice box. Or a brown one lol

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

With the free ipod promotion going on it's tough to beat a new machine. Basically you can sell the ipod for $150 and discount that off the machine which is usually about the same as the refurbished discount.

That being said I just ordered a airport extreme that was refurbished and all the accessories looked new. The airport extreme looked new. Everything had the plastic shrink wrap on it so it had all been repackaged. I would buy more refurbished items from Apple. I've bought refurbished from Dell before (netbook last year) and it had been thrown in the box with grass left on the unit.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That depends on if they are a college student or not, however.

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Actually, my box was a plain white one. xD

Anyway, I bought a refurbished MacBook as a gift for my parents 3 months ago. It was absolutly perfect when it arrived, you could not tell the difference. The only way i could tell was the battery had 4 charge cycles on it. I saved $250 for 4 charge cycles. I think it was worth it!
    All in all, i was more than satisfied, as HP refurbs come scratched up and worn, and i was expecting the same. Completley surprised and very happy. I'm planning on buying all my computer refurbished from now on.