Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Honestly, though I was and am really impressed with the screen, and other features of the phone, I honestly think I’m just going to keep my 8+ for now. I guess I just don’t feel like, FOR ME, the differences in the features are worth the difference in the price. I’m thinking I’ll hang onto my 8+, and when the XRs come out, and I can spend some time in store handling them, I’ll make a decision about whether I’d like to maybe go that route. I was really torn about doing this upgrade anyway, as I love my 8+, so I just think it’s the right thing to do.

Now, that being said, I have NEVER returned anything to Apple. I have activated the phone (obviously), which has deactivated my 8+. I have sync’d my series 4 watch to the Max, so I’ll need to unpair that. Here are my questions:

Can I back up my watch so when I pair it with my 8+ I can keep the settings I JUST set up on the darn thing?

How do I get my service back to my 8+? I haven’t erased it or anything, so my stuff is still on it - do I just move the SIM from the Max to my 8+?

I honestly have no clue where to go/what to do first.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just pull the SIM card out of the MAX and put it in your 8+. It should be ready to go. If you want to save today health data you will need to unpair it from your MAX and use that update to restore your 8+. Reset you MAX to factory and put back in the box. Return to Apple for a refund.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Just pull the SIM card out of the MAX and put it in your 8+. It should be ready to go. If you want to save today health data you will need to unpair it from your MAX and use that update to restore your 8+. Reset you MAX to factory and put back in the box. Return to Apple for a refund.

Wait so if I move the SIM my watch won’t have to be unpaired and repaired?

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
1) back up iPhone XS Max to an iCloud with IOS 12.0
2) use (1) to restore iPhone 8 Plus wih the backup above.
3) put sim back into iPhone 8 PLus from XS Max
4) go to store , bring your receipt and order number , tell them you are still happy with the 8 Plus [they wont bitch at u for it its just part of the policy, in fact u can come up with ANY reason you like... unwanted gift etc and they'll still accept as long as you dont make it sound atrocious]

5) money back into ur credit card in like 2-3 days?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Okay but do I need to update my 8+ to iOS 12 before I can backup or will that automatically happen when I do the 2nd step?

And what about the watch?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Both will need to be updated.

Also you can use an encrypted iTunes backup if you don’t use iCloud.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Sorry I misread your post.

Your iPhone 8 will need to be updated to iOS 12.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
yes the iphone 8 will need to be ios 12 if u want to run backup from iphone xs max
given that phone was only out for like... 2 days, shouldn't u be fine losing a little bit in favor of not goign through restoration?

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
yes the iphone 8 will need to be ios 12 if u want to run backup from iphone xs max
given that phone was only out for like... 2 days, shouldn't u be fine losing a little bit in favor of not goign through restoration?

I’m really not that worried about backing up the phone at all, but I still have no clue what to do about the watch.

I just need to know if it’s gonna automatically be synced up with whichever phone has the SIM or if I need to unpair from the Max and re-pair to the 8+.
[doublepost=1537636714][/doublepost]well I’m here and having to get it done before I head to Apple so I am just unpairing to be safe. I’ll re-pair with my 8+ once it’s up and running again

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.