Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I ordered a new Mac Mini, i5/16/512 on 4/9, and it was delivered on 4/15. I've read about Apple's extended return policy with the stores being closed, so I figured even though I am out of my regular 14 day return policy, I should have up to 14 days to return it after my local stores open, so that still gives me some time.

It's a nice machine, and personally I don't have any complaints. I bought the Apple Magic Keyboard, and have a new Dell 25" QHD coming at the end of the month. I don't do much on it, just basic normal people stuff. Web browsing, email....etc....same stuff I could do on my iPad, but I just wanted a desktop.

But what is making me question keeping it, is that Dell just released the new R11 Alienware desktop, and just for fun, I spec'd out a machine, which has a 10th gen processor, and way better specs that the Mac Mini, and it's actually a few hundred less than what I paid for the mini. If I spec it out to the same price I paid for the mini, it would would be a real screamer.

My dilemma is that, I don't need all that power because I don't use a computer the same way I used to when I was younger. I used to play PC games years ago, but now I have an Xbox for that. All I do on a computer I could actually just do on an iPad basically, but it's just nicer on a desktop with a big monitor.

But knowing that I paid top dollar for 2 year old specs, when I can get a killer up-to-date Alienware system for pretty much the same price is what's making me wonder. Whether I need the power or not, it is a much better value for my money spent that the Mac Mini. The Alienware is a more logical choice for the same amount of money. Whether I need it or not, it's hard to ignore the difference for the same price.

As far as Windows 10 vs MacOS. I like both OS's and don't value one over the other. So the OS debate isn't an issue for me. Except for the fact that for some reason, some apps on Windows aren't available on MacOS. Spotify, Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu....etc....strange how they don't make MacOS versions when they are all available in the Windows 10 store.

Of course this level of thinking is assuming I am reading Apple's extended return policy correctly saying even though I am out of my return period, they will still accept returns for 14 days after the stores open.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Considerations you haven't mentioned:
  • Energy usage. The Alienware has a 1000W power supply, the Mac Mini will use less than 1/6th of that amount.
  • Poorer integration with your iPad.
  • The alienware desktop computer is literally the size of 24 mac minis.
How much space do you have at your desk?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
There's always going to be that something else that catches your fancy to tempt you shortly after you make a big purchase, and make you question your decision. I had a month-long period of doubt after buying my refurb 2018 i7/64/1TB Mac Mini. Did I pay too much? Did I overbuy the specs? Am I really a laptop person? Should I have bought a MBP? ... you get the idea, on and on with the nagging questions. Then one day after getting an iPad 12.9 which satisfied the mobile need, it felt like the Mac Mini choice had been a good choice after all, and that I would probably regret it if I didn't have it. This thing is a workhorse and I hope to get at least 8 years out of it.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
@nicho

The first of your two points aren't an issue for me, but the 3rd one about the size. I could make it work, but yes the Mac Mini is nice and small it hardly takes up any room. I do like that.

@Namara

I totally understand what you mean. I don't think I have buyers remorse. I don't regret buying the Mini. I actually am very happy with it. I guess it's just the fact that knowing that for the same price, I could get a machine with hardware which is way beyond and more powerful than for what I paid for the mini. That's the only part that irks me. :)

Gary Z

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
I ordered a new Mac Mini, i5/16/512 on 4/9, and it was delivered on 4/15. I've read about Apple's extended return policy with the stores being closed, so I figured even though I am out of my regular 14 day return policy, I should have up to 14 days to return it after my local stores open, so that still gives me some time.

It's a nice machine, and personally I don't have any complaints. I bought the Apple Magic Keyboard, and have a new Dell 25" QHD coming at the end of the month. I don't do much on it, just basic normal people stuff. Web browsing, email....etc....same stuff I could do on my iPad, but I just wanted a desktop.

But what is making me question keeping it, is that Dell just released the new R11 Alienware desktop, and just for fun, I spec'd out a machine, which has a 10th gen processor, and way better specs that the Mac Mini, and it's actually a few hundred less than what I paid for the mini. If I spec it out to the same price I paid for the mini, it would would be a real screamer.

My dilemma is that, I don't need all that power because I don't use a computer the same way I used to when I was younger. I used to play PC games years ago, but now I have an Xbox for that. All I do on a computer I could actually just do on an iPad basically, but it's just nicer on a desktop with a big monitor.

But knowing that I paid top dollar for 2 year old specs, when I can get a killer up-to-date Alienware system for pretty much the same price is what's making me wonder. Whether I need the power or not, it is a much better value for my money spent that the Mac Mini. The Alienware is a more logical choice for the same amount of money. Whether I need it or not, it's hard to ignore the difference for the same price.

As far as Windows 10 vs MacOS. I like both OS's and don't value one over the other. So the OS debate isn't an issue for me. Except for the fact that for some reason, some apps on Windows aren't available on MacOS. Spotify, Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, Hulu....etc....strange how they don't make MacOS versions when they are all available in the Windows 10 store.

Of course this level of thinking is assuming I am reading Apple's extended return policy correctly saying even though I am out of my return period, they will still accept returns for 14 days after the stores open.
Another consideration would be to return the Mini and spend a few extra bucks and get an 11” iPad Pro. Like you, even though I have a tech background, I find myself doing less and less on the computer of those things I did when younger.

So, I bought the 11” iPad and use with a mouse and/or trackpad. I have 4TB of external SSD storage via the USB-C connector which passes through an Anker docking device which also has pass through charging, SD port, two USB-A ports and Ethernet. The new iPad OS handles those devices beautifully and I feel it’s far better than the MS Surface Pro implementation of touch screen. And, I drive a 4K monitor for the times I want to do photo editing on a large screen. The iPad drives the monitor effortlessly. Also, with the Apple Pencil, I can do markups on documents on-screen as well as real signatures when needed.

Think about it, as you’d have a much lighter mobile device with power equal to the Mini and much more useablility.

Reactions: Suspenders

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I'm OS agnostic, and they are both solid and capable. However the choice for me would be glaringly obvious. If you plan on doing any type of gaming then the Alienware R11 is the only choice. I own two Mac mini's but the R11 is a no brainer.

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
If you are doubting your decision now about the cost and value, return it. Especially since you are not concerned what OS you use. Buy a used Mac if you are missing OSX. If you don't game now, then save your money and go the used route. It's been years since I bought a new Mac.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Spotify and Pandora have MacOS apps you can download from their websites. They're just not available through the Mac App Store. There's at least one 3rd party developer (dbk labs) that makes desktop apps for Netflix, Hulu and others, but again they're not in the Mac App Store.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
You’ve said yourself on multiple occasions that you really don’t need a desktop. Your iPad is all you need.

Return it and save your money on something you might need in the future.

Reactions: serpico007

Suspenders

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
You're not buying hardware when you buy a Mac, you're buying MacOS and the ecosystem. You have to ask yourself if it is worth all the money you paid.

I think this is an important point.

I used to build my own PCs years ago, then switched to Mac for my personal & photography use and I don't think I'd switch back.

Yes, Windows is a fine OS and I use it for my day job, but it isn't an OS that I'd like to use on a regular basis. In fact, if it wasn't for a couple of specific programs I need for work, I would have applied to use a Mac laptop as part of a pilot program my workplace offers.

Reactions: Boyd01

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
Intel iterations don't really mean much. At the end of the day it's about the real world improvement you'll get. If you're OS agnostic I'd say go for the Mac Mini since you'll be able to legally run the two OS-es side by side.

If you care about write off I'd say get the Mac Mini too since Apple stuff (irrationally) keeps their value for longer. Spec-wise the Alienware probably is a better deal. If you plan on doing hardware expensions later down the line that's going to save you a lot of headaches.

My 2 cents.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
Thanks for all the opinions. I'm still not 100%, but I am pretty sure I'm gunna keep the Mini.

The big advantage for getting the Alienware would be for PC gaming. I don't game on the PC anymore, I have an Xbox for that. Plus I think that MacOS just looks a lot more classy than Windows 10.

Last week I got a new 25" Dell QHD monitor, and running MacOS in QHD looks very nice. I hooked up a Windows 10 laptop to it to see, and Windows 10 didn't seem all that much better in QHD as MacOS does. Only bummer though is I am waiting on a replacement for the monitor from Dell. My one I just got, the right half of the screen has a cooler color tone than the left side. I can really only see it on bright or white screens. But once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Also, I love using Microsoft Edge for my new browser of choice now. Since they started using the Chrome coding, it's way better. It's really fast and runs better than Chrome. Also ironically, the MacOS version of Edge is much better than the Windows version in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.