Considering returning touch for iphone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JHNguyen, Sep 23, 2007.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

Sorry in advance,
    I know this has been gone through a bunch of times and I tried calling customer service but it's closed now and I'm sort of looking for just a quick answer and I though maybe some of you would know..

Ive had the touch for a little while now and am thinking about getting the iphone without the phone service. But now that I think of it, why not just get the phone plan too?

I've got a Cingular/ATT plan already, with I believe 1000 minutes and unlimited texts. If I were to get the phone could I use it with my existing plan or is their an extra fee?

John

2. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

You'd pay $40/mo more for unlimited iPhone data and unlimited texts, minus whatever unlimited texts are costing you now ($20/mo, $30/mo?).

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I'm pretty sure you can just take your new iPhone into an AT&T store or call them up and have them change your plan for you. Depending on which plan you choose, you should come out about even, if not just a tad more... but trust me, it's worth it. :)

4. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Alright. Thanks for the quick replys.

Also.. when it says 200 SMS messages, does that count as text messages too? If I'm texting from phone to phone would that be part of the 200?

John

5. rmh macrumors regular

"SMS" and "text messages" are the same thing..

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I believe you can get unlimited mobile-to-mobile to $5/month extra.

Without that, yes phone to phone would come out of your 200.

7. hersheytx macrumors newbie

5 dollars for any mobile? I know you can call any AT&T customer mobile to mobile for free. Did not think you could do that to someone on Sprint for just 5 dollars more. Would be a great feature though.

Plus you cannot use your Iphone like an Ipod touch without turning on the service. It will just be a 911 emergency phone and nothing more.

8. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

Ah. Alright. One more question :)

I know their are some Mobile IM solutions.. ie meebo, jivetalk. I was wondering, since it will be running on the edge network. Is it reliable to text through AIM using the (+513132412) phone numbers for SMS. I'm guessing there's no fee for this, but, do text come in slower? Will some texts somehow not get to my phone if the network is super slow or something?

thanks again,