Considering rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tokiopop, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Hey guys, I used to actively browse this forum a while back (You last visited: 27/01/2011), but I kinda stopped coming. Whatever, I remembered my password :p

Anyway, I have one of the first unibody 13" MBPs from a while back (yeah, the ones that get SUPER HOT - hopefully these new ones aren't so hot), and I'm about to start a computer science course at university this september. I have some money saved up, and my parents are willing to put some money towards this (since I'm not moving out or anything).

Just wondering if I should really take the plunge now, wait for another year, or use the money for a car (though I wouldn't really use it, since I'd be getting the bus to uni, due to parking costs). I've also been reading about some screen issues, Samsung, LG, what's all this about?

Some things that are quite important to me; how well do windows and linux operating systems run on the rMBP? Any major issues? I'll probably be triple booting, or at least dual with linux running off USB, with rEFIt (or rEFInd)

Uh, so yeah. Tldr; is it worth it?

Also, if I did get it, can anyone recommend some accessories? Like covers (I hate scratches) or a bag to carry it (and the rest of my uni stuff) in.

Cheers :)

2. Hidendra macrumors member

don't let someone tell you it isn't worth until you judge it for yourself. i've had mine for 2 months now and haven't had any issues

edit: regarding windows/linux, i run windows constantly in a VM. bootcamp works well (rEFIt) but was a bit of a pain to setup with regards to setting up a bootable usb key (had an issue with the iso i was using) but once it was working it worked great, only really use bootcamp for games though, VM for everything else

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Wait till next year, you'll be so happy you did. I've got first hand experience, after learning the hard way. This years is all new without a track record. Next years will have lots of little & not so little improvements & refinements. It's what Apple does best.

----------

Wow, two full months? Most of the Macs I've bought only last 36 days. :)

4. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

People usually come to complain on forums rather than praising about their perfect product. I say buy it if you don't like it return! If there are issues that you've been reading about then exchange! I received mine yesterday and everything seems to be perfect. I love it :)

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

If you can afford one and want one, just get it. Tremendous machine.

6. XrAdEr macrumors member

I was deciding if I was going to get a maxed out 15" non-retina display or a base model retina display MBP, but I went the non-retina cause the non-upgradable parts really bugged me. I couldn't cough out 700ish more for the maxed out retina display model, but I guess if you have money to spend, go for the retina :)

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I don't consider the rMBP a completely first gen. product. It's a great amalgamation of the MBA + cMBP attached to an amazing display!

I would recommend getting one with 16GB RAM and, if possible, a 512GB SSD.

Goodluck with whatever route you choose! :)

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Unfortunately your personal results over a 2 month period aren't all that meaningful. Some generations have shown long term problems which would show up long after 2 months. Beyond that it's not like every unit is the same, and some usage patterns are obviously more stressful than others. I really like some things about the updated display such as resolution and that it's a much closer match to sRGB. I like that the thermals seem to be significantly improved (noting comments on here + anandtech tests). There's no way of knowing how long this guy intends to keep it. Personally I tend to go for releases that are very likely to be completely stable. Of course whether or not you need the upgrade in the current year matters too.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you've got the funds, it's not a decision you'll regret. The Retina MacBook Pro is a terrific machine. Fast, excellent battery life (I left it on overnight—I fell asleep—and when I woke up in the morning it still had 5 hours to go; maybe the Mac has some special power saver mode it kicks into).

Quite frankly I'm ready to give up all my other Macs now. I have not bother with my other Macs any longer.

10. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Thanks guys

I think I['m going to go for a 512GB model, since I can get the 15% discount. I'm really pleased they've improved the cooling system in the machine

Can anyone recommend some cases or something to protect it from being scratched? Preferably something available in the UK :D

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Excellent choice.

As for cases, there really isn't anything specifically designed for the Retina MacBook Pro, yet. You won't find snap on covers and whatnot.

However there is a thread that's dedicated to existing cases that fit or work for people here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391592

12. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

nice.. the 512 and 2.6 CPU upgrade are well worth it.. the 16 gig memory isn't as big a deal unless you need it for a given reason.