considering selling MacBook for iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ethan Coohill, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Ethan Coohill macrumors member

I've been thinking about doing the iMac/ iPad combo and ditch my MacBook completely.

Anyone else do this? What do you think?

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

I think that if you do NO WORK then the iPad is fine. Go for playing with apps, checking email, surf internet, watching movies, chat. But if you want to do real WORK, you need the MacBook. JMO

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've thought about it a few times but it seems when I of a situation pops up where I'm glad I have my MBP and its portability. While I have traveled some with just an iPad there are quite a few tasks I just can't do adequately with it.

Ideally I would like a multi-monitor Mac Pro setup at home with a MBP for travel but haven't figured how to make the workflow work in that scenario.

4. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Same here. iPads are for content consumption, and not creation, IMOHO. Ours gather dust, when the kids aren't playing Minecraft on them.

I recently looked at migrating from an iMac to a 15 rMBP. At the end of the day, I went back to the iMac as my main system. It just did more of what I needed, and I typically need horsepower and screen real-estate, from my desktop.

Surprisingly, I wound up with a 12 Macbook as my mobile. It's practically the same size as an iPad, but I can do real work with it. It's soooooo small and light, yet powerful enough to do 90% of what I do for work. My iPhone takes care of the rest.

But when I really do need a tablet, I reach for the Surface Pro 3. that thing is growing own me, and does a few work things where I still need a PC. I was pretty much intent upon it being my laptop and tablet, until I bought the woman a new MacBook. So now, when I travel, I throw both the SP3 and 12 MB into my bag.

Beefy iMac and Svelt MacBook is my combination, with the SP3 thrown in for good measure.No need for iPads.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in a similar boat. My mobility needs are being met by my SP3, and now my MBP is sitting there as a "desktop" computer, hooked up to my monitor.

The advantages of the iMac as a I see them (at least for my needs), are that I get a computer for 2k that will seemingly last longer then 5 years. Looking at the people in the iMac forum, many of them have older macs. Its hard to own a laptop for that long given the mobile nature and the abuse that goes along with it.

Basically to summarize my mobile needs have changed, and I think I can get more value out of the iMac then the MBP.

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I think you will regret that decision, but only you know what's best for you.

I could never use an iPad as my primary mobile device, an iPad is a toy it cannot replace a Macbook Pro for anything other than watching funny videos on YouTube.

7. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

"iPad is a toy...."
    OMG! So tired of these narrow-minded, cubicle-bound people!

So, according to them, a pilot who consults his/her fight manual on the iPad is doing NO WORK.
    The filmmaker who edits projects on the iPad is doing NO WORK.
    The real estate agent who shows virtual home tours on the iPad is doing NO WORK*.
    The physician who follows patient progress on an iPad is doing NO WORK.*
    The musician who creates songs on the iPad is doing NO WORK.
    Retailers who track inventory and/or transact sales on an iPad are doing NO WORK.*
    Farmers who plan and manage their crops on an iPad are doing NO WORK.*
    Manufacturers who manage production lines on an iPad are doing NO WORK.*
    .....and on and on.

The iPad is only a "toy" if your imagination and awareness are severely limited.
    NEWS FLASH: THE WORLD IS FAR BIGGER AND MORE VARIED THAN YOUR $&*!#@ SPREADSHEETS!

BTW, I purchased an iPad Pro 12.9" two months ago (yes, I do consulting and creative WORK on it while mobile), and it has so replaced my 15" Retina MacBook Pro that I'm about to sell it and purchase a 5K iMac for my home/office.

*Never heard of this? Check the iPad pages on Apple.com.