Considering selling my Macbook for an iMac; need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redtiger, Jun 21, 2008.

1. redtiger macrumors newbie

So I've had my Macbook for several months now... I love it! It's my first Mac... but I have a bit of an issue. I really want to buy an iMac because of their gorgeous screens and because they are much more powerful (me and a friend are going to be creating some independent films this summer plus I want to play some Windows games again). In total, my iMac will cost about $2,300 Canadian. As you can tell... that's quite a bit of cash, especially for someone planning to attend college in January. What do you guys think I should do? Save up the cash from working or sell my Macbook to help make it easier on my wallet? I'm really in a jam here, I'm willing to let my Macbook go (kind of :p ) but I just can't decide! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. mikenike192 macrumors regular

If you want to edit videos (since the macbook can't handle it) and you are willing to spend over $2000 I would sell the MB and buy a new Macbook Pro for its video editing power and the fact that you are going to college next year and are going to want a laptop

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

What are you talking about? MacBooks are perfectly fine for editing video. OP would be better off getting an external 22" or 24" display if that's the principal intent. If he want's gaming, then he should spend a $1,000 on a WinPC home-built for playing games.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Whatever you decide to do you can save several hundred dollars (and therefore get it quicker!) by:
    (1) buying a refurb
    (2) using after-market upgrades (especially for RAM)

And... RAM is one of the easiest things to upgrade on any Mac - there's no reason to pay apple $400 for something you can get through another source for $100 (Just make sure it's mac-compatible - everybody here has their favorites).

5. mikenike192 macrumors regular

Macbook can run FCE but not FCP or Motion. Plus since HD cameras are becoming more affordable editing in HD is going to become more popular resulting in the computer needing more powerful graphics card. MBP is more future proof, but the MB is a good choice with an external is good if you are only going to use FCE

6. Vster macrumors 6502

Totally agree! NewEgg.com has sweet RAM deals and you can find out exactly which kind you need from Crucial.com. I'd still shop around but good deals are to be had!

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

It will run FCP just fine. It only has issues with Motion (and Color), which leverage the gpu.

But FCP doesn't rely on the gpu for any of its tasks.

Either will work equally well. The question is, where would the money be best invested? If there's no need for Color or Motion, then a MB is the way to go. Suggesting that it cannot do video is not accurate.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

When buying a laptop for college try and make it so you only have to buy once, until you are finished. I would suggest getting a macbook pro and an external monitor. I have a mbp and run games on it just fine in bootcamp. While a macbook may run what you want now, will it 4 years from now?

I go to school for game programming/design and I am using all kinds of crazy software. Here is my setup, not saying you have the same but this will give you and idea of what the mbp can handle:

-mbp (specs are in my signature)
    -26inch monitor (ran in extended desktop mode)
    -Adobe Master Collection (Photoshop and illustrator are always running)
    -Adobe Lightroom
    -Logic Express w/ virtual instruments loaded on external eSata raid enclosure
    -Maya
    -VMWare Fusion(Creating virtual windows machines to code in)
    -Microsoft Visual Studio (ran in virtual machine)
    -Torque Game Engine
    -Torsion (ran in virtual machine)
    -iTunes
    -Corel Painter X
    -Mac the Ripper
    -Handbrake
    -Constatly writing to an external 5drive raid enclosure (eSata through express slot)

Pretty much all of these are ALWAYS RUNNING and always doing something. I use my computer a ton for work/school/fun. They all have their own spaces but the mbp is a serious beast. I really think you will be happy going the mbp/monitor route. Its more money up front, but the machine will last you a long time. The only time mine ever gets turned off is between where I live, and where I work. Which is about 500 feet so It doesn't stay off for long :)

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Don't forget you can get an edu discount on the iMac + get a free iPod and printer which you could sell.

10. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would go with the mbp option as well. Once you have mobility, you can never go back. You might not know it now, but you'll miss the ability to surf in bed or bringing your computer to a cafe when you sell your iMac. Plus, you can bring your mbp with you when you're filming and do onsite edits.