Considering SSD but have an iTunes question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SaintsMac, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

What do you guys that have large libraries do?

External HD, iTunes server?

Any suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Over 100Gb's of music alone ... so SSD is out of the question for me :/

3. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

External HD + iPod/iPhone is what I did. I really don't listen to music on my laptop much. A bit cumbersome because I usually get up to go get a drink or something and want to bring my music with me.

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Small selection

I keep a small selection on my laptop and keep the rest on another machine at home. Home sharing makes the whole situation easy to manage as long as you either always buy/load up on the central computer or are careful to move the files back centrally before deleting.

5. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

How big is your library?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I split my library between my internal drive and an external. I keep albums and music videos that are less often played on the external, since it won't all fit on my internal drive.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

My 50 GB library (including movies and such) won't fit on an 80 gig SSD that also holds a windows partition and associated applications, so it's all stored on the speedy Samsung F4 1Tb drive in an OS X Server box.

It used to be stored on my FireWire external but i like it on the server better.

8. dcoulson macrumors member

OS is on 240Gb SSD. iTunes, movies, virtual machines and other junk is on 750Gb drive which replaced optical drive.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I split is as well to leave a little 'play' room on my SSD. I have about 4,000 items and 25GB of iTunes files on my SSD.

10. BigMoo macrumors member

I have roughly 95GB of music, and i keep it on my external hard drive. Not a huge deal for me because i don't mind carrying it around when i want to listen to music. To other people this is a huge deal. It's all preference though if you ask me.

11. SaintsMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the cool suggestions.

My library is 75GB.

I am leaning toward the itunes server way.

12. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Currently I have the OCZ Vertex 2, 120 GB, and my iTunes library is over 300 GB. So I just use an external HD to store my iTunes library, and it works great.

13. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

Time Capsule (Or any other NAS) is great. I have over 300 gb in my library and it streams down without issue. Works great with new gen Apple TV as well.

14. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Holy hell, I thought my 16GB of music was a lot! I would LOVE a 300GB library though!

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

In my MacBook Pro 128GB SSD with the same playlist my iPad/iPhone has which is Lossless audio converted to 128Kbps AAC files and when I want to play my lossless larger library with movies & tv shows I attach my 2TB External Drive

I plan on adding an iMac to my workflow to eliminate the 2tb external with my MacBook.

16. dime21 macrumors 6502

my i tunes library is 210 gb. everything is in apple lossless, hence the large size. i have a high end stereo (think msrp on a new bmw and you'll understand what i mean by 'high end') and can clearly hear the difference between a lossless file and a 128k or 192k lossy file. anyhow, 210 gb is too big to fit on my ipod, which is the largest one they make, the 160 gb model. i would really like a 256 gb ssd based ipod (1.8" ssd of 256gb is available now) so that way i can carry my entire collection with me. perhaps some day.

17. jsilas macrumors regular

I solved the problem with a 128GB SSD for my OS/Applications, and a 2nd 500GB 7,200rpm platter drive for file storage (in place of my SuperDrive).

Works like a champ, and was quite affordable too. Now my whole Apple Lossless collection can be with me at all times.

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I store my iTunes library on an external because it's 900GB; if you library is much smaller, I would suggest the optibay solution if you do not need your optical drive.

19. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Mine is on my 500gb system drive. I don't want a dongle drive hanging off whenever I want to listen to music. I won't touch SSD until 500gb is under $200. I am a patient man. I'm fine with my 7200rpm drive and will be for a long time to come.

20. SaintsMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been looking into using the Buffalo Link Station. It says that it can be used as an iTunes server. Has anyone had any dealings with Buffalo products?

Also, concerning the Time Capsule, I already have a good router and do not need the Capsule for such. Could I just use it as a wireless hard drive for the iTunes?

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can use any drive you like for iTunes.

22. SaintsMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick response.
    So, for the Time Capsule, I am assuming I would just connect it the an ethernet port on my existing router.

23. jman240 macrumors 6502a

You should just use it AS your router (ie in Lieu of) as it will probably be better unless you forked over a ton of $$ already for dual band router.

24. SaintsMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I would but I have a pretty good router-Netgear WNDR 3700.