Considering SSD upgrade 2010 MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by akdj, Feb 14, 2011.

1. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Hi all,

I picked my wife up a Mac Air a few weeks back, the 11", 4gig/128gig model. It's a freakin' RockStar! I can't believe how incredibly fast it is, yada, yada...we have all heard the stories...but I gotta tell ya, I'm jealous;)

I have a 2010 17" sweet heart...it's a very nice machine...but I'm now a complete evangelist of the SSD...I'm going to put one in my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro....the latter I'd like to do ASAP> I'm pretty good with tools, but my local Mac Shop will do it for 50 or 60 bucks, so I'll probably just go that route. Considering the 240gig from OWC, as that seems to be the line for diminishing returns (the 480 is 3x the price in comparison).

However, that said...there are now plenty of rumblings about a new version of SSD being released soon...as in this month. I'm not one to wait for the next great thing...if I need it now, i buy it now...however, I do NOT need the SSD now, especially if there is a significant enough reason to wait a couple weeks.

What is this new technology or evolution for the SSD platform?
    Is it more or less money-wise?
    Is it a speed improvement? Duration improvement? Faster to read/write or both?

Finally, and probably most importantly...is the new technology compatible with the current Intel iX offerings, and will the benefits of the technology be evident with today's configuration?

Thanks for the insight,

Jer

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You're asking questions that will be better answered once the new SSDs are released in a few weeks, so I would wait.

Plus, the new MBPs will be out as well, so you might decide it is better to just sell your '10 and get an '11 depending on if they go Air-esque on the MBPs.

3. skidmarc macrumors member

There is always a point where you just have to jump in. An SSD will, normally, always be better than a platter based HDD. Also newer tech is not always better tech, also at times machines cannot take full advantage of the full capabilities of the technology.

I'm not justifying my purchase, nor do I really care about what's next (because there will always be a NEXT when it comes to computers), but I recently purchased the OWC 240 and have not probs with it.

Point being, there is not right time or wrong time to buy. If it feels right to you then do it, if not then wait. Just remember there is always something better right around the corner.

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Can you post a link to the source saying new SSDs are released in a few weeks? I'm assuming you mean Intel drives?

5. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I know waiting for the next thing is a bad idea but were talking a few weeks by most guesses. I would wait and see what they come up with.

I still may just get a 2010 and customize it with an optibay ssd and more ram but I'm waiting to see

6. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Quoted for truth.
    If you aren`t desperate then I`d hold off a few weeks, new drives are coming.
    We are likely to see noticeable improvements in SSD tech over the next 12 months as it gets more mainstream.
    Also means there will be bargains on earlier versions as they are superceded.

7. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

Why consider!!! . Go and get one SSD it roxx . My mac pro with SSD boots in 4 seconds ha ha ;);):D

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I have the 17 I5 a ssd even a slow one makes a huge difference. Dont pay $50 to have someone install the drive if you have a $5 screwdriver set you can do it your self in 10 minutes

9. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

I bought two SSD’s, one for my Mac and one for my PC (granted I’ve since sold my MBP and replaced it with a MBA) but the difference is certainly (and immediately) noticeable. It’s probably THE one thing that you can do to your computer and notice a difference immediately. Plus, everything is going SSD anyways, so as you noticed with your wife’s MBA you will also notice a difference with your MBP if you choose to go that route.

10. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I just picked up the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB drive and put it in this past weekend. The performance increase is beyond stellar. I picked this one because it comes with a 3 year warranty, and has slightly faster read/write speeds than the drives listed on OWC. I'm not too concerned with the new generation being faster because I can't ask for more than a 13 second boot and 3 seconds to launch Photoshop.

11. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

12. hawse771 macrumors member

I would wait, and not to see what the new ones are like, because honestly they will probably be pretty expensive. However, with newer additions, the older ones will hopefully be on sale and it might be possible to pick up a decent size SSD for a reasonable price.

I personally don't think $250-300+ for a 128-160GBSSD is reasonable because the added performance is not worth it at the price, being a 1/4+ of what I spent on my MBP.