Considering swapping my iPad3 AT&T for an iPad3 Verizon LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FireFish, Mar 21, 2012.

Which iPad3 is the best buy?

1. AT&T's iPad3

4 vote(s)
  2. Verizon's iPad3

23 vote(s)
  3. They're the same, no benefits whatsoever

2 vote(s)
  4. I'm stuck in my Android Honeycomb and am filled with denial.

2 vote(s)
  1. FireFish macrumors member

Sep 12, 2007
    I have an AT&T iPad 3 and am one of the few 'grandfathered' all you can eat internet customers who gets unlimited data for $29.99.

My area is not AT&T LTE ready, but Verizon rolled out LTE years ago here.
    I know this because I happen to have a Verizon 4G LTE MiFi card for work.

My questions:
    1) Is the iPad 3 SIM UNLOCKED? Such that a trip to Europe & a local SIM would work?

2) Should I consider giving back my iPad 3 AT&T model & getting the Verizon one instead? (i've heard rumors that my AT&T SIM would even work in the verizon model flawlessly with no effort).

3) If I got the Verizon iPad3, pop-ed out the SIM card it comes with & use the SIM from my Verizon 4G MiFi device, will the data work?

4) Is it true that the Verizon iPad3 can also be used as a MiFi, or wireless hot spot?

Anyone who has any confirmed advice is welcome to respond.
  2. MattZani macrumors 68030

Apr 20, 2008
    Its been confirmed that the Verizon iPad will get AT&T 3G.

Yes, the Verizon Data Plan allows you to use the iPad as a hotspot for free.

Yes, the Verizon iPad is SIM unlocked

Honestly, do a little research? I don't even live in the US and I know this...
  3. AppChat macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2012
    Worth the extra for lte model over wifi only
  4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    totally worth it if you're going for the 1gb option and want free tethering.

I guess you'll also get free tethering on At&t's by default if you put an At&t SIM in it but you lose LTE and you are are limited to At&t's 3G... not sure about HSPA+
  5. FireFish thread starter macrumors member

Sep 12, 2007
    I've seen reports of this, but I've also seen reports of people seeing Elvis and other craziness. That's why I ask this question among my peers before making a decision. :confused:

By the way, I don't know how things work in England, but here in America, we have special doctors called Proctologists. They make a killing pulling sticks out of ******s belonging to people like you. :D
  6. doboy macrumors 68000

Jul 6, 2007
  7. KPOM macrumors G5

Oct 23, 2010
    Tethering is activate by the account, not the device, so my guess is that if you put an AT&T SIM into a Verizon iPad, that the Personal Hotspot option would not be available. It is activated by the carrier settings.
  8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ah ok... I stand corrected. Then At&t just sucks all around then.
  9. bryanescuela Suspended

Jun 27, 2008
    I Swapped

to Verizon. Anyway AT&T don't offer 4G LTE in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, West Palm...
  10. JLee361 macrumors member

Mar 20, 2012
    I would be willing to buy your AT&T iPad sim card if you want to get rid of it...
  11. ivan2002 macrumors regular

Aug 8, 2010
    Verizon all the way, baby

Verizon has the following advantages:

1. Free hotspot
    2. Better coverage
    3. Initially, everyone was saying AT&T will be faster, but when the tests came out, it turns out that for iPad at least, the opposite is true
    4. If you are going to be a big user, there is a 10G for $80 plan on Verizon.
    5. I had a Verizon MiFi on a two year contract. Verizon let me switch over to iPad no problem, no charge. Points Verizon CS.
    6. Yeah, you can use your AT&T SIM on Verizon iPad, but AT&T will kill your service for it. Negative points AT&T CS.