Considering Switching. Need some advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rjw1239, Apr 13, 2008.

1. rjw1239 macrumors newbie

I've been strongly considering buying a mac for a few months now. I thought I was going to get a 24 iMac, but I'm having second thoughts. I had heard that the 24" was capable of displaying 1080p and I was interested in using it in my bedroom as computer and tv using a dish network receiver. I now understand that I would not be able to get a HD signal from by DN box to display on the Imac. I am aware of eyetv, but I don't think that even with it I would be able to watch HD video on the IMac. Am I wrong. I don't really need my computer to be a DVR as I can get that functionally with my DN receiver.

Anyhow I now believe that I might be better off just getting a mac mini, and buying a seperate monitor that would have a HDMI input. This should also allow me to hook up a PS3 / Xbox360.

I suppose I would prefer the Imac, but if I am unable to use the built in monitor to display the dishnetwork signal in full HD, then I'm thinking the mac mini + stand alone monitor or HDTV with pc input might be the solution.

I mainly want the mac for internet surfing, cataloging digital photos and music, microsoft office type programs. I don't really care about pc gaming.

What would you suggest? Can the Imac be used how I want to use it, or is the mac mini my best choice. Thanks in advance to all who take the time to offer advice.

2. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Well for gaming you're better off with a separate monitor for your consoles and a Mac mini.

You can use an eyeTV to watch cable and satellite tv though with a box according to their website.

3. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine