Considering switching

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DragonSlayer95, Mar 2, 2014.

1. DragonSlayer95 macrumors newbie

Hey there

Long time Android user here.

I'm looking to get off of Android and try out something different. I found the iPhone 4 with Verizon for $99 on prepaid.

My question, the 4 being 3 generations old, is it still worth buying? I'm mainly a caller/texter sometimes I'll play a few games, not really high end games anymore.

Another concern, with the iPhone 4 getting the recent IOS7 update I think it is from what I read? I seen that it significantly slows down the performance of the phone. I only seen one person stating this though. Is that true as well or not so much?

Thanks in advance.

DS

2. AudiA3 macrumors member

Gosh.... iPhone 4.... It was acceptable 5 years ago..... But now that the iPhone 5S has already been released, I'd just get that... Just add $600 more, it wont cause you to go into a bankruptcy

3. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I've seen first hand an iPhone 4 and iOS7, and it's awful. Very laggy on pretty much anything you attempt to do. I would avoid an iPhone 4 and go for a 4S if you're looking for a relatively cheap phone. I would recommend a 5 or 5s though for the best performance on iOS7 though. Maybe, it will get better with iOS 7.1, but I wouldn't lock myself into a contract on the hopes that an update will make it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJJFO09XdNI

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I wouldn't get the iPhone 4 is you're looking to try iOS. That will probably make you hate it. I like iOS and iPhone, but iOS 7 on the iPhone 4 is horrible.

5. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Go with a 5 or 5C if you're looking to try iPhone without breaking the budget.

As others have said, anything below the 5 doesn't run iOS 7 as well as they could. Even my 55 year old mother with a 4S complains about how slow it is.

6. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

If you're mainly use texts/calls does it really matter which eco system you're in? And no the iPhone 4 is not something i'd want to use as my main phone.

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

At the very least I'd try to find an iPhone 4S. Many carriers offer it for free on contract right now, but you could probably find a used one for relatively cheap.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

He's only looking to play a few games. Why would he need the 64gb?

I realise you we're probably being ironic, but he has stated he is looking at an older phone, so probably doesn't have the funds for the latest and greatest.

To the OP, I'm running the latest iOS on my iPhone 5 and its fine. On an iPhone 4 though, I think it would be a bit painful (especially as your first iPhone experience). I would look to see if you could purchase an iPhone 5 (maybe second hand) as a minimum.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. DragonSlayer95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions all.

The reason I brought up the i4 was the price point considering how I'm on a budget right now and can't exactly afford to shell out 400-600 on a 5s as several has mentioned above.

I'll keep a 5 in mind if I can't find one for a reasonable price.

12. olepi macrumors newbie

IOS 7.0.6 is a complete dog on the iphone 4 and I certainly wouldn't pay $100 for the experience. If you are dead set on using imessage to text your friends, get the 4s at the very least. Other than imessage, there really isn't any reason to switch given your usage (calling & texting).

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The lowest I would go is the iPhone 4s right now. I'm not sure how it'll handle next years upgrade, but being that it is dual core, that should help.

14. cynics macrumors G3

I think you'll hate iOS and the iPhone if you start out with the 4 right now. Imagine getting an Android phone that old? Be a pretty bad experience.

15. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Considering switching

It may be better for you to get a used iPhone 5 (not 5s) through eBay than get a new iPhone 4.

16. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21