considering the current Macbook pro or old Mac pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by communion, Apr 23, 2009.

1. communion macrumors newbie

hi everyone,first to be here :D

I've been using a 24' iMac 2.4 in my audio working place almost a year,still feel satisfied with it and recently planning to buy a new mac for using at home to do with audio too.considering the speed is not slower than my iMac and the budget,so thinking to get the current Macbook Pro or an old second hand Mac Pro(I can't afford a new one)
    I will need the pci-e and firewire.there is an advantage for me to have an old mac pro with more pci-e slots,firewire ports and adding more Rams if the performance is still as good as the new macbook pro.
    what do you guys suggest?and what specifications of older mac pro can equally compare with the new macbook pro? thanks!

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

End of the day, I'd say only consider the Macbook pro if you really need it to be portable. If not then the Mac Pro would be better choice if you can afford it.

The Mac Pro is far more expandable and if even your going for a previous generation one would doubt you could get a Macbook pro to rival it in terms of power.

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have the previous Mac Pro 2.8 eight core and the previous MBP (top model).
    The rendering is night and day. A MP is soo much faster than a MBP.
    The MBP will feel like your iMac, even a little slower due to the hard disk.
    At least that was my experience when I traded my 24" iMac for the MBP, and my iMac was all ready 2 years old when I did the trade

4. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I'd get the macbook pro then if you need to bring work from the office home you can.

5. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Huh?

I don't understand that advice. Don't get a mbp over a mp, just 'to bring work from the office home'. You can easily do that with a portable hd! :D

If you really need pci-e and don't need it to be portable get the mp.

6. communion thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks you guys for advice!
    portable is not my main consideration,but it's also a good bonus to take it anywhere.
    yes,i can use a portable hd to take data from office.:D
    so,what about the very first generation of MP ( 2.66 GHz Dual-core Xeon )? is it still faster than the latest macbook pro?because i can't afford the current MP,just looking for a 2nd hand instead if the performance is still good.if not,i will probably get a new macbook pro.

7. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

In my opinion if your imac is suiting yours needs without being to slow or not performing functions correctly what is the need for a mac pro. the macbook pro can do everything the imac can.

8. adamf232 macrumors newbie

Mac Pro All the Way. Unless you want something portable but the Mac Pro old Gen is still faster and more expandable