iPad Considering the iPad Air 2 Celullar...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thecore762, Nov 2, 2014.

1. thecore762 macrumors regular

Hi guys, I am considering the iPad Air 2 Cellular from AT&T since I have the 30GB Mobile Share plan with them...

I have a few questions, is the cellular band on the back white on the silver iPad Air 2? Does it match with the color of the tablet or does it look awkward.

Right now I am somewhat undecided between the Space Grey and the Silver one, its going to be a tough choice...

The speakers, I got to test the iPad Air 2 at best buy and boy the iPad vibrates a lot...does it bother you when watching movies? Are there any problems when cranking up the volume?

I don't see myself traveling a lot with my iPad, so the cellular is not really needed, but its nice to have it there incase...and probably the resale value is going to be much greater than the WIFI one.
    I am going for the 64GB version.

Lastly, should I wait for Black Friday? Do AT&T or any other providers offer any deals on the cellular versions of the iPad or is it mainly the WIFI only version?

I know if I sign a 2 year commitment I save $100...is this worth it?

2. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Don't have the answers to the other questions (except space gray has black band, silver has white, as does gold). For the above one though, cellular iPad resale value sucks. I sold my Air 1 with cellular for $400. It's for your convenience, others don't seem to care.

3. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Yep.... convenience. For $10 access fee a month on my bill I went with the cellular... The device was $130 more but averaged out over 2+ years that nothing to me.

4. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I buy for the added GPS and T-mobile free data.

5. TRC-WA macrumors regular

That too... an added bonus. Even if I rarely use the LTE and GPS I like it being there when I do need it. The minimal cost difference made it an easy choice.

6. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

7. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

I'd much rather the vibrations weren't there, but they don't stop it being my favourite Apple product since the original iPad. The form factor is just beautiful to hold. I just wish they'd made the aluminium a fraction thicker.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The silver iPad Air 2 does have a white cellular band on the back. It looks about as awkward as the black one does. Personally, I rarely ever look at the back of my iPad so I never really notice it.

They're both fairly nice. I had a white iPad Air and went with a black/space grey iPad Air 2. I think the white one is slightly better IMO for reading PDFs and documents since the white bezel blends in with the white background of most books and documents. But the black is less distracting when you're doing things like looking at photos or videos.

For all the vibrating my iPad Air 2 does with sound, it actually sounds BETTER than the iPad Air did, IMO. And the smart cover I use seems to dampen the vibration a bit.

A lot of people have said the resale value doesn't change much. THough that might change. It seems more people are now interested in cellular iPads than before.

You MIGHT see some small discounts on Black Friday. If you're in no hurry to get an iPad, maybe it's worth waiting.

9. thecore762 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input, still on the edge if I want the cellular version since I have the hotspot option on my Mobile Share plan with my iPhone 6...any downside between the cellular version and hotspot?

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

The downside of using your hotspot as a phone is that it will deplete your phones battery. Also, the cellular iPad model has GPS as well.

11. thecore762 thread starter macrumors regular

I see, does your iPhone need to be on for the hotspot to work? Or can it stay locked?

12. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

13. radioking, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

radioking macrumors regular

It doesn't have to be unlocked. You can activate the hotspot in the iPad wifi settings without taking the phone out of your pocket.

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I wouldn't buy an iPad again without cellular support. I don't use it all the time but when you need it you NEED it! Plus, the GPS is great too.

I also like how felixible the data plans are for the iPad. No contracts, several options for different levels of data use, easy to change, great connectivity, etc.

Love my ATT iPad Air!

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As mentioned already, battery use can be an issue. Hotspot does drain the battery pretty quickly. I've also found it heats up your phone, too.

Most importantly for me, I travel now and then and take my iPhone and iPad with me. In the past, there have been cases where I've misplaced my phone, and that left me both panicking to find my iPhone, and without internet access for my (then Wifi-only) iPad and my laptop to go to iCloud and locate it. I ended up having to find a Starbucks with Wifi to ultimately locate the phone and recover it. Although it turned out okay, it was time wasted, and could've been a lot worse if the phone had been lost for good.

So, for me, spending the extra cash to have a backup cellular data option built into the iPad has been worth it to me. The situation might be different for you of course.