Considering the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwd3885, Sep 22, 2014.

1. dwd3885, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

dwd3885 macrumors 68020

So I've been using Android phones and tablets for the past four years. The last iphone i used was the 3G S. Mainly because I think Android is better than iOS and I like the big screens. Now with the Plus and iOS 8, I'm actually thinking of going to the iphone. I'm apprehensive with the decision because I do not know how it would be. I use Google services and love google now. I just bought the Moto 360 watch too and like it a lot. It would be really hard to leave android.

How does Google Play Movies and Magazines work on iOS? And Google Play Music?

Let me tell you why I'm considering switching. The camera, big screen, new features in iOS 8 that should help with apps working together right? On my android side, I've used all the phones. Nothing seems to offer a camera as good or if it is as good, it's a Galaxy phone and I'm not a huge Galaxy guy.

Any advice?

2. Applenoob34 macrumors 6502

I would say stay where your at or upgrade to a phone in the android ecosystem. It sounds like your pretty invested in the android/Google ecosystem. I have the plus but am not blinded by the fact that android has better phones than Apple. The 6 plus could definitely be designed better. Way too long imo.

3. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It's a fact that Android has better phones than Apple?

4. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

It seems like you're firmly invested into the Android ecosystem and I don't think that you'd really enjoy the iPhone. The screen is amazing and the OS is solid, but I think it'd be more of a hindrance because Apple products work better when you use Apple services.

I'd just stick to Android if I were in your situation. I'm in the reverse as you, so I'll likely stick to Apple phones for as long as I live for this reason.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

considering the iPhone

In the phablet realm yes, the 6+ is not anywhere near the level of the note line. No one should expect it to be though, the note is on its fourth dance.

6. Applenoob34 macrumors 6502

Nope. Very subjective. Poor choice of words on my part. I'm of the opinion that there are better designed phones on the android market that make better use of the same screen size in a smaller overall package. I also believe that the 6 plus is longer than it really needs to be. The main reason I stay with Apple is because I like the os and am invested in the ecosystem.

7. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

Im going back to ios. Was an iphone user from the getgo up to the 4s. Tried Android for a year and a half. Im going back with the 6+. The only thing i'll miss from android is prolly the ability to tether for free to all my devices. Go with what youre comfortable with. Good luckmwith your choice.

8. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Being an Android User, I've noticed a few things:

1) Data Usage Information
    Android is a lot better at this with pretty simple interactive graph where you can set the limit and have the phone warn you whereas iOS just gives you textual usage next to each app, and a simple number, which is not as good at showing you how much you use over long periods of time (i.e. month, year, etc.)

2) Wifi Hotspot
    Android is nicer in that you can set your own hotspot name. In iPhone the name of your phone is the name of your hotspot.

3) Health

This is a nice thing about the new iPhone is it keeps track of steps and distance walked on its own, which is kinda nice how you dont have to install a specific app for it.

4) Facetime

Being able to do a video chat if another user is able to is also nice.

5) The Gmail/Email Application

No pretty letter or photos of the user if found. The iPhone Plus has it, but the iPhone 6 doesn't. Its just silly.

6) Flashlight

iPhone is nice it has it built in without you having to install an app.

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Right. Bezel-gate. Check.

10. Applenoob34 macrumors 6502

Call it what you want. It's a valid point brought up by many. You don't have to like it.

11. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

I haven't bought my iPhone 6/6+ (yet), but I do use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 7 (2012). And I live and breath Google Apps. Google, regardless of what many Android fans would like, stays pretty agnostic. Google Play Movies is almost as useful on my iPhone as on my Nexus. I can cast it to my Chromecast, I can download movies and tv shows (by episode) to my phone. Same for Google Books. Google Voice/Hangouts is great.

The one thing that will drive you mad using iOS is not being able to order content from many non-Apple vendors. Apple takes a cut of any in app purchases, so Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, Amazon, Audible, Comixology and others don't sell directly from their apps. Sucks big time, especially if you're on the road. I get around it by keeping a copy of the actual webpage bookmarked on my home screen to purchase from.

Good luck either way. Envious of you and the Moto 360. If the Moto X had more memory (I really need 64GB and want 128GB) I'd be switching from an iOS phone/Android tablet to an Android phone/iOS tablet workflow.

12. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Yeah, space is a huge factor, I know there are microsd cards, but its just not the same as having the beefy internal storage.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Just to add additional datapoints: Much of Google's services are available on iOS via their own apps in the app store. You wouldn't be forced to leave the Google ecosystem just because you're switching platforms.

Will the services be as tightly integrated as on an Android device? Definitely not. But there are other plusses to switching over if you decide to do so.

Google Play magazines unfortunately doesn't work on iOS, but the rest (Movies, TV, Music, Books) does work.

Ultimately, only you can really make the decision. I will say that if the Android platform offered a camera as good as on the iPhone 6/Plus, I'd probably be considering a switch myself. Unfortunately, the vendors on that side need to get it in their heads that simply cramming 20 noisy megapixels into a tiny piece of silicon doesn't make an awesome camera.

14. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Buy the note 4. Android wear won't play nice with ios.

15. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i know it won't. i'd consider returning the watch in that case.

16. jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

You seem like you need features, do not go to iphone unless you rather be severely limited in being productive and having fun with your phone with few features...look at nexus 6, m8, S5, or note 4

17. accountforit macrumors 6502a

IOS isn't much different. If you don't like IOS, then stay with Android.

18. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

well i bought it! i'll try it out at least. but i'm liking the look and feel so far!

19. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

[​IMG]

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He also said 3.5 inches was the perfect size. He's dead and now look at the size increase of the current iPhones over that 3.5. He wasn't right on everything.

21. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Hope it works out for you. I have never strayed into the Android realm myself and have been invested in the Apple Ecosystem for a long time now so I can't speak intelligently about Android vs. Apple. I personally love the Apple system although its a pricey one at times. Good luck with your phone.

22. warnerve macrumors member

I have a galaxy s4 right now and I cant wait to throw this **** on a garbage can. Seriously, I got this phone in January and so far it feels like a 3 y.o phone. Horrible build quality...the chrome bezel painting is wearing off, the battery cover scratches so damn easily and the screen gets ********s of fingerprints despite having an oleophobic coating...

Now on the software side, things are even more ******... During my first 3 months of usage I had no problems with this phone, everything was fast and smooth. But after that the phone started getting VERY laggy. Also I experienced lots of random reboots, camera freezing and app crashing... the ****? I cleaned everything on the phone and upgraded to Kit Kat,im glad it fixed many of the issues I had experienced but still it doesnt fix the fact that touchwiz delivers a very ****** user experience.

Now that iphone 6 is out I had made the decision to switch over, cant wait to grab one!

23. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

This is the second time i've made the switch. I've been an Android user since the G1, only steering away to try the Blackberry Bold in 08 (short trip-couldn't deal with it's dated software, though I had been a blackberry user in the past) and the iPhone 4. I bought the iPhone 4 simply because it was, to me, the best designed phone ever (I still hold it's design in extremely high regard). 8 months later I sold it for the HTC Inspire 4G. I could not deal with it's limited OS, and it's tiny screen. So I sold it. Didn't think I'd ever go back, but the 6 Plus caught my eye and so far I love it. I too am pretty involved with the Google ecosystem, but I can still stay within their services even though I'm not on android.

The first few things I downloaded when I activated my device was the various Google apps I used on a daily basis. I was even surprised to see that they added navigation to the Maps app, a feature I used daily on Android since my Nexus One. Making the switch today is a vast improvement over making he switch when I bought the 4. Today, both Android and iOS have similr design elements and philosophies. Many aspects were borrowed from each system. Each systemis more robust than a few years ago. I have noticed no challenges in making the switch this time around, though it does help that I've had an iPad for a few years now. On Android, I was more invested in Google's services. I'm not attached to any particular app or developerthat's solely on Android. All of my apps except for Plume are cross platorm, but I use Tweetbot on my iPad already. So my most curret experience with iOS hasn't resulted in me immediately wanting to switch back. Everything I used on Android is available here so there has been no drop off in production or usability so far.

Don't let preconceived notions deter you one way or another. I say you give it a shot. Worse case scenario, you sell it down the line and return to Android.