Considering: to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nefrit, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Nefrit macrumors newbie

Nefrit

Hi!

I am just thinking if to buy iPhone or Asus MyPal A639. IPhone seems to have all the advantages, and it must be strange that such question has risen in my mind, but I ask it because of the high price of the iPhone, it's 800$ in my city (does it cost the same in yours?). And before buying such an expensive toy I'd like to consult those who have already bought it)))))

I looked through the forum and saw that there are a lot of people who are not happy with it, is safari really so annoying? And is it convenient to type on the iPhone, edit Excel documents? is it possible to read pdf, djvu, txt, html on it? Is there much soft on it, such programs as MathCAD (I really need it cause I'm a student))) Borland C?

Excuse me for my mistakes - English is not my native language.

I would be very grateful to you if you answered my numerous questions :)

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I must admit, $800 is a little steep. You'll find an enormous amount of complainers on this forum, but the majority of iPhone owners are very pleased with the device.

I'm not sure on some of the attachments that you asked about -- I'll have to defer to someone else.

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

In Australia, it is about $800 to buy it unlocked/not on a post pay plan.

There are problems, Safari will occasionally crash (possibly less now with the 2.2 update released today). You cannot edit any sort of document.

And, the iPhone is a *phone*. You can't just install ordinary desktop programs onto it. So MathCAD, Borland C is a no no (unless someone makes the app for it, then you will need to pay again).

And you can view just about any of the mainstream file formats, ms .doc, .xls, ppt, pdf, jpg, png, txt, html (I don't know what djvu is).

4. Nefrit thread starter macrumors newbie

Nefrit

In this case there is no sense for me to purchase it as long as it is so expensive :cool:

Thank you for your answers.

5. pandaman macrumors newbie

In the buyers guide it says that an Iphone update is due soon - is there any expectation of when this will be - do we expect a newly designed handset after Xmas ?

6. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

who the hell cares about what the iPhone buyers guide says ( I added a note, right now btw)

There is zero proof that a new iPhone will be coming out

7. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

what? The last iPhone update came in June. They wouldn't release another one so soon--why would they want to cannibalize on their sales?

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

people speculate that the new 32gb will be coming out soon, but no one knows this

the reason Apple needed to update the 2g iphone was that it was lacking 3g and a GPS chip. Apple also decided to increase the size from 4-8 to 8-16 gb.

while it seems likely that apple will release 16-32 gb models in its next release this is speculation

If you go here

http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog/2008/02/the-real-reason.html

you will see that the highest capacity nand chip being used is 16gb ( 128 gigabit )
    the iphone uses 1x because it only has one slot
    the Ipod touch uses 2x because it has two slots

Unless Apple redesigns its internal logic board, or a company releases a 256gigabit chip ( which currently does not exist) don't expect Apple to release a 32gb iPhone anytime soon