Considering to buy the 20" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jdm_rsx, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

im thinking about to buy the $1199 model for my parents this xmas....

im a user of the macbook myself w/ tiger and im sure it should fairly simple enough for them to use right? keep in mind they have poor to fair computer skills...basic internet surf / turn on and off and i plan to teach them more on the mac....

question is....it is having any known problems lately?

my friend said some hardware issues...

i did a google search...not much came up....nothing serious at least

but i wanna check w/ the pros here

can anyone help me?

2. je1ani macrumors 6502

nope no problems... hurry up and buy!

3. jeremyrader macrumors member

If they live anywhere near an :apple:store, you can also give them the gift of One-to-One training, one hour a week for a year, for $99. Thinking of doing the same for my in-laws as well, although I'll probably go with the MacBook.

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is a wonderful option.

My dad regularly visits the local Apple store and takes advantage of the training/demonstrations that they offer.

5. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

The only known issue was with the graphics memory inside a handful of iMacs, causing them to "freeze" after a few minutes. Apple has released a firmware fix for it already, so there are no outstanding major issues at this time.

The convergence of the iMac's new aluminum/glass design and the very recent release of Leopard makes right now a very good time to buy from the iMac lineup. I got mine just over a week ago, and I'm thrilled with it. Your parents will love not having to mess around with configuration to make programs run correctly, like in Windows (so there will be fewer "Help Me!" calls to you later).

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No freezing on the ATI 2400 models...

The biggest complaint is the viewing angle issue, which basically makes the bottom of the screen seem a little lighter than the bottom.

Nothing you can do about it with the TN display, and is something you don't notice or get used to.

Choose a background that keeps you from noticing it as much as does playing with the brightness and running a calibration cycle.

---

If you can swing the 2.4 model, it comes with the upgraded graphics and larger HD -- both usefull, but not always needed.

The $20-35 for an extra gig, and $79 for iWork '08 (or and extra $20 for adding iWork to you machine also with the family pack) will likely be a better investment.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I just bought an imac for my parents and here are some things to think about:

1. If you buy them in the store they DO NOT come with leopard installed yet (they still have the leopard drop-in disk as of 11/17/07). However, the apple store employee told me they did have leopard installed - boy were they surprised. I don't know how comfortable they are with installing a new OS, but my apple store did it for them for free. This is also important because all the apple classes are taught on leopard machines and if they don't have leopard on their imac they will be confused I imagine.

2. I bought them the One-to-One training ($100) thinking they would never use it and they LOVE IT! They go every tuesday night at 8-9PM with the same person. My mother has very poor computer skills and she finds it very useful and the classes are making her much less afraid of technology and computers.

3. If you buy Pro Care (also $100) they will transfer your music, photos, email, etc. from the old computer to the new one and put them in front of the line if they have to bring it in for support or have a question answered (which I'm sure they will). It's pricey, but if you don't have the time to transfer the data yourself it's nice. I didn't get it for them, but just wanted to give you the heads up.

4. Buy applecare if you can afford it (get it on ebay - it seems strange but is legitimate if bought from a reputable dealer). My father put a mini-cd into the slot loader (in fairness to him the mini-CD did say it could be put into an imac) and that bought him a trip to the genius bar and although was self-inflicted, they still didn't charge him. He bought pro-care on his own and had the computer back in 2 days (vs. 10 for regular non-pro-care users).

5. I got them an external HD for time machine so now I don't have to worry about my mother losing her iphoto database (which might give her a heart attack). Of course, I put the photos on DVD as well for extra security when I did the transfer.

6. I set them up with an ichat account so that I could remotely fix their computer from my house using screen sharing. Haven't needed to use it yet as my dad just brings in the computer to the genius bar at the local apple store (now that he's a pro-care member) and they fix him up within a half hour, but I'm sure I'll be happy that I did this in the future.

7. I got them an imac with the upgraded graphics card (the 2600pro vs. the 2400) and those are known to have freezing issues. However, when the apple store installed leopard on it, they also did all the updates, including the one that fixes the freezing issue. But this won't be a problem if you buy the base 20" model as it has the non-freezing 2400 graphics card.

8. I bought them the wireless keyboard and mouse upgrade for $50. It makes the machine VERY sleek and my parents don't use that other half of the keyboard anyway. Once you see it in use without ANY cables it is a truly beautiful sight.

9. The most common problems (at least on these forums) are dead pixels and yellow screens. I suspect my parents' imac (after having stared at it in all lighting conditions for 20 minutes straight) MAY have a slight irregularity of the screen but definitely NOT noticeable to anyone but me (and only noticeable by me because I'm looking for it and may even be imagining it). They use the imac primarily to view pictures in the kitchen and it is serving this purpose beautifully. No one can tell that anything is wrong and everyone who sees it is in love with it so don't believe these forums about the evil screens of the imacs, they are truly beautiful!

10. If the price of all the "extras" is too much, might I suggest having other siblings purchase them as other gifts for them?

My parents LOVE their new iMac and I think you will make them very happy. Congratulations!

EDIT: One more thing I forgot - Get them an extra gigabyte of RAM either online from ebay or just from apple themselves. You need DDR2 PC-5300 Memory SO-DIMMs (you can see the exact specifications from www.crucial.com) - the best companies are crucial, kingston, mushkin, and corsair. Apple memory is good stuff from Samsung. It is $150 but will really extend the life of the machine and is the easiest way to go. If you buy it in the apple store they will install it for free right there (probably when you ask them to install leopard would be the most useful time).

8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

okay thank you for the wonderful feedback guys...

heres another thought...

i noticed that during back to school sales

apple normally throws in a "free ipod after rebates"

do they do this in january or only in august?

9. je1ani macrumors 6502

For the price of a 1gb stick from apple you can buy 4GB of ram and dinner for the family. lol! and yes they will install leopard for you free of charge :)

10. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

apple ram = kingston anyways right?

can anyone help me out w/ the Question above these posts?

11. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

The only user-installable component is the RAM (one phillips head screw to remove). I purchased 4GB from OWC. No problem. I don't recall the brand but in the past have specifically used TechWorks.

12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

1. The ipod deal is only offered during the summer.

2. Apple RAM = Samsung for now

3. I suggested buying the extra 1gb for $150 from apple because it is easy and you don't need to do anything. However, if you have even the slightest of skills I agree that you should buy 4gb of crucial ram from www.crucial.com for $150 (you'll just have to install it yourself). Because your parents don't need 4gb, you could buy 2 gb instead for even less.

13. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

do you guys honestly think it is worth the wait for the free ipod?

apple would be giving away the nano's right?

and i could apply the rebate to a iTouch or something right?

14. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

1. That's for you to decide, but no, I wouldn't wait.

2. They have always been nanos so that's the most likely thing they'll give away.

3. Not sure about this as ipod touches are new and I've never seen them do this before.