Considering to buying a Macbook Pro, broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by esadb, Aug 1, 2013.

1. esadb, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Looking at buying a Mac Pro its a 8,2. It's a 15" from early 2011. Trying to find out the exact specs of it currently.

Issue it has is apparently the screen is just black and the LCD doesn't work. The person took it to an apple store to have it diagnosed and they told her $700 to fix but everything else works in the laptop as confirmed by the guys there. As in you can hear it running etc. Now I am not sure if the secondary display works on it as I don't want to hint on that and loose out on it :p

Now my initial thought is either the LVDS cable or LCD panel. What's your guy's thoughts? Worth it? Is this something that's common on these machines? Can snag it up for $150..

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

I'd buy it for $200 ;D If it works on an external its probably cables or the LCD. If it doesn't its generally the logic board (right around $700 to replace... hmmm). Be prepared to lose everything you spend on it! Ask about spills, etc. Don't mess with liquid damage unless you know what you're doing.

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

She seems pretty straight forward about it and said she'd go into the store with me to let them tell me that the laptop still works and all just its the LCD.

She said the LED system in it that doesn't work and just stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I can't ask her if it works on an external and that might kill this entire thing and then she won't sell it but it can be used as a desktop.

4. that1guyy macrumors 6502

You are considering buying a macBOOK pro, not a mac pro.

5. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

So you don't wanna say anything so you can basically rip her off.
    IMO that's a bit below the belt and harsh.

6. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

If they say its just the LCD it might be worth it. Heck, it's probably worth some in parts at least! Wonder if you can somehow ask if its just the LCD or the LED driver circuit. The former is easy, the latter is a logic board issue (not good). Personally if this was offered to me I would take it. Want to resell to me?

7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Gotta put food on the table, no one looks out for me either.

So the LED driver circuit is part of the logic board? She does say its 100% functional.. Not sure what she means by that maybe shes aware it works on the display out port..
    Lol on the resale thing.. I guess its a gamble to take..

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

No.

You do NOT have to gamble in life AT ALL. You can be, umm, honest and use common sense and just go out and buy a perfectly fine refurb from the shiny red fruit company's site. Period, done, easy, breezy - good?

9. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

LoL funny! Thanks for sharing :)

10. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

You are very welcome my man.

Anything I can do to see the humor and the funny in all situations in life.

Best to you both.

11. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

World needs more people like you to bring joy and laughter.

Who are you referring to when you say "best to you both", whose the second person?

Think you can help me out with my technical question? :)

12. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

How'd it go? (Assuming you made the decision)... Of course you decided to sell it to me, right? :D :rolleyes:

Yeah the LED driver circuit is part of the logic board (at least it is on mine, not sure about a 2011 model but it would make sense not to have it behind the display itself)....
    It's definitely a gamble though. I've taken gambles like this and fallen through... up to you.

13. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Didn't pick it up yet as their out of town, perhaps today or tomorrow.

Yah I read a bit more about it seems like a fuse is known to pop on these also that might require a quick swap.