Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Impossible for me. Many of my clients and friends and family are on WhatsApp. It doesn't matter how much of a crook Facebook is because if I want to communicate I need WhatsApp. No one uses Telegram.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Completely forgot about telegram but yeah don’t think many people actually even know about it.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
There is Allo and hangouts. They both work pretty well but the problem is getting people to move away from a messaging service that they are used to using and getting them all to download another app.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
There is Allo and hangouts. They both work pretty well but the problem is getting people to move away from a messaging service that they are used to using and getting them all to download another app.

That’s a very valid point. Although, I’m not willing to sacrifice my privacy for someone’s habit / convenience, so I’d rather not stay in touch with them than let Facebook go through my private conversation.

Reactions: FFR

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
That’s a very valid point. Although, I’m not willing to sacrifice my privacy for someone’s habit / convenience, so I’d rather not stay in touch with them than let Facebook go through my private conversation.
You can always use iMessage for SMS and email for videos or media.

Reactions: akash.nu

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I’ll never be able to leave WhatsApp. My school administration uses to WhatsApp communicate with teachers. And literally all my friends use WhatsApp.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Luiggi7

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2017
We really have the power and the opportunity to choose what IM tool we want. If all of us stop using WhatsApp, surely they will think a lot in add ads and spy us.

But it is almost impossible. Old people, Youngest, And technology haters/reluctants, prefer not to do anything and keep using WhatsApp.

I will start by changing my status message telling my contacts what is my telegram nick and that I am going to close my WhatsApp profile. Then I continue publishing how non-privacy WhatsApp is. And finally if I need to contact with some provider or someone needs to contact me, sorry man, I don’t have WhatsApp, try with telegram, sms, email, or even a phone call. But never more with WhatsApp.

Maybe if some of us do this, we could produce a viral effect. I don’t know. But I hate them.

Reactions: cdcastillo

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
After abandoning Facebook, I was seriously considering to leave Facebook and what a timing - https://www.wsj.com/articles/facebooks-new-message-to-whatsapp-make-money-1533139325

Trying to get some ideas here. I wonder if any of you have done that already and how do you communicate with people on Android now?!

Smart move.
I started to use what’s app back in 09 when it first launched, I stopped using them little while after Facebook acquired them. I noticed a huge difference in battery life after I got rid of the app.

I use iMessage.

Reactions: akash.nu

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
using line here
line can be used on desktop too
my friends use whatsapp so losing contacts, oh well

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
Is anyone using BBM still? It’s still owned by Blackberry as far as I’m aware.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
Original poster
May 26, 2016
You can link your mobile device with your laptop or desktop computer using Signal Desktop. Multiple mobile devices and Android tablets are not currently supported. Signal can only be used on one mobile device and up to five linked Signal Desktops.

Yep I’ve resorted to that now. Just done it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.