Considering to sell my iMac for a 17"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AreYouAMac, May 8, 2013.

1. AreYouAMac macrumors regular

Hi All,

So I'm a web designer, and I mainly do work on my 27" imac (fully upgraded late 2010 model). Was $2,200 I believe.

However, I been having the urge to sell it for a 17" 2.5 model. I valued my mac via Apple trade-in, and it's worth less than 900. I definitely did not think the resale value for the iMac would drop that much. What's crazy is that I sold my Blackbook 07' for $600!

Love the portability, and I think the screen size will manage, since it will already be large.

What do you think? Apple refurb has the the 17" 2.4 for $1,800 but I just want the top-of-line for I guess a little bit more "future proofing"

Thanks.
    Mac.

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

First of all, do not listen to the Apple trade-in value. It always gives a low-ball offer.

Two, I think you could sell it on eBay/Craigslist/here for around $1100-$1300, depending on specs.

Third, the 17" is 2 year old technology. I personally would not pay $1800 or more for a machine that is 2 years old, doesn't have USB 3.0, etc. despite the screen size. Maybe look into a 15" or a retina?

3. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

Yeah definitely look into a 15" with the High-res display or Retina.
    not as bulky as the 17" BUT same high-res display or even better with the retina. better bang for your buck and future proofing if you will.