Considering upgrade from 2010 11" air to 2011 11" my needs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jz7410, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jz7410 macrumors member

I have the 1.4 2gb 128hd 11" 2010 air and I'm thinking about selling it to go to the 2011 1.6 i5 11". My main reasons are the backlight keyboard, i5 and 4gb of ram (only regret i have on my 2010) My only need for the upgrade is an increase in speed using Transmission and file transfers via external hard rive. Will upgrading to the 2011 machine make transmission run faster and smoother? and will it make usb transfers faster?

thank you

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

No and no. Transmission is purely based on your internet connection and the quality (not necessarily quantity) of the seeds. So if those two things are the only things that you want to upgrade for, then it most likely won't be worth it. But the backlit keyboard, thunderbolt,and the new processors are pretty awesome lol

Sent from my SGSII

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Wait for USB 3.0 in the next Air. The 2011 is just an incremental upgrade. Unless you're editing video or solving floating point algorithms, the MBA 2010 is the same computer (unless you need a lighted KB to type).

4. jz7410 thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the replies. I may wait for the usb 3.0 like you said, however i used to have the 201 macbook pro and with that model i def had a faster transfer speed. My main reason for transfers are backing up via time machine and sending music to a sd card for my car since it has an sd slot. So basically any data sent via usb will not increase in speed with the i5 processor?

I am really a lite user just surfing, iPhoto, iTunes, transmission, so i def don't tax the cpu in any way however i wish i did opt for the 4gb in the 2010 model cuz that would really be my main reason to upgrade. Running transmission, encoding in iTunes and using safari tax my machine sometimes

5. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

USB 2.0 transfer speeds are capped at like 60MB/s. This is a limitation of the hardware bus or something. Make sure you have an SD card that has 60MB/s+ write speeds to fully utilize the 'pipe'. This data flow speed has nothing to do with the processor, if your storage mediums are fast enough then it is the limitations of the pipe that affect speeds.
    One solution is using Firewire 800 which has a much much higher speed.

Backing up in general, is always crazy slow. It takes forever no matter what solution you use. As for Transmission, make sure you have the ports forwarded in your router, and google on how to optimize your internet for torrents.