Considering 'Upgrade' from Macbook 2.16 to 2.2ghz, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hari-bhari, Jan 6, 2008.

1. hari-bhari macrumors regular

I purchased my Macbook in August, but I am getting kind of annoyed with the CPU whine and shorter battery life (lasts around 3.5 hours instead of 4.5 like my old one before I got it exchanged, but Apple of course can't find anything wrong), so I was thinking of selling it at getting the newer 2.2ghz.

Is there anywhere that lists the feature differences between the two? According to the CNET review, the processor is faster and also uses the new Santa Rose platform (what is that?), and it resulted in almost an hour extra of battery life in their DVD Playback tests. I also noticed that the maximum RAM is 4gb now instead of 2gb. What other changes can I expect aside from Leopard and iLife 08?

Thanks in advance!

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The new MacBooks are 5 pounds (2.27kg), versus 5.1 pounds (2.31kg) in the old models. Big diff :p

The keyboard layout matches the new aluminium Apple wireless keyboard. There is a new graphics card too, the x3100.

Battery capacity does drain over time, so they might consider it normal except in drastic cases (like <3 hours from full charge perhaps ... it's also dependent on duration of use)

3. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I moved from the 2.0ghz to the 2.2ghz just to keep up with the latest spec.
    The benefits for me were the ram, been able to max it out to 4gig instead of 3 and also the slightly faster chip (although to be perfectly honest I really didnt notice the speed increase).
    I am pleased I upgraded and the only *minor* downside was the noise that the DVD drive makes when you turn the macbook on or wake it from sleep. Its a 1 second noise of the drive checking for the disk.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

A thinner wallet? Honestly, there's no compelling reason to move from the 2.16 to the 2.2. As you already experienced, performance may not be what is claimed (or tested by anyone else). You could end up with worse performance than you do now, or greatly improved, or feel there's not a whit of change.

The 2.16 will support up to 3GB (and I've heard reports of 3.2-3.3 being managed), so you could toss 4GB into the 2.16 and gain most of the available benefit right there.

I guess you could consider Leopard and iLife to be worth the difference in cost (and loss in value in selling the old one), but you could get the RAM, 10.5, and iLife for ~$230, give or take (YMMV).

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That's "normal", in that it's happened on every Mac I've ever used.

6. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

my current macbook makes that same noise...it's normal. your old one didnt do it? how about any insight into the new Santa Rosa platform in relation to battery life?

7. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

well of course im only hopping on this because i may have access to a corporate discount which would allow me to break even. i just want to know what to expect with the upgrade

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, if I could move to a SR from my 2.16 for $0 net, I'd do it in a New York minute.

9. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Yes the old one may have done it but was very very quite, I remember when I opened up the new SR macbook and switching it one, thought WTH was that noise!? anyway, as I posted in another thread it seems to have died down now (or/and) I got used to it. Just checked again and its not that noticeable :) maybe it was a little stiff from the factory :D

Battery, I think I get around 3.5 to 4 hrs but I always tend to use the screen set to as low light as possible after the first half hour, its a bright screen anyway and hurts my eyes if its on full :D

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It is your money, but you know the old proverb about fools and their money.

11. hari-bhari thread starter macrumors regular

read above...i could get it exchanged for $0 net.

i had made these questions in another post but i figure i may as well ask here
    1) is battery life really an hour longer on the new one (cnet's dvd drain test showed 4.5 hours)
    2) is the new x3100 graphics chip much better than the gma 950? does it handle flash any better? i hate my cpu and fan blowing up every time im on youtube
    3) it seems as though the CPU whine issue is still present, any more opinions?
    4) does the new one run any cooler as a result of the better platform and graphics processor?