Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I currently have an iPhone 5s. My sister just upgraded to an iPhone 5s 16gb, and now she realized that she needs 32gb, which is what I have. So, I was thinking of swapping my 5s with her, than returning her 16gb for a 64gb iPhone 6 which I'll use. My question is, should I upgrade to the 6? Waiting for the 6s is not an option, as Verizon has a 14 day return policy.
I really thought I preferred the 4 inch factor of the 5s, but my mom also just upgraded, to a 6, and having used it a few times, I have found that i am able to use it one handed without problem. So now I'm thinking that I may like the size. What do you guys think?

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
So return the phone within 14 days and use her upgrade when the new phones come out next month.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
So return the phone within 14 days and use her upgrade when the new phones come out next month.
I can't because that would mean I'd be without a phone for a month or however long it takes for them to release the 6s. If she wants, I'm giving her my 32gb 5s, and then swapping (returning) her 16gb 5s for a 64gb 6.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Gotcha. You could always pick up a cheap phone on Swappa to tide you over for a month. Never hurts to have a spare.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Gotcha. You could always pick up a cheap phone on Swappa to tide you over for a month. Never hurts to have a spare.
I'll be fine with not getting the 6s. Yes, the rumored features would be cool, but already this 6 would be an upgrade, and it will be nice. Will certainly last until next year when the 7 comes out.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
Is there anyone from whom you can borrow a phone for a few weeks? I think I'd rather limp along with even a flip phone for a few weeks instead of buy an about-to-be-replaced iPhone 6 for full price.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I can see your regret already, I'd wait for the 6s, you will have your 6 while your on these forums reading how awesome the 6s is with 2 gig ram and you'll regret not getting the latest model. It's too close to get a 6 now might as well wait. Your only appeasing your sister and not doing what you really want right? It's less than month, I'd never do it.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Is there anyone from whom you can borrow a phone for a few weeks? I think I'd rather limp along with even a flip phone for a few weeks instead of buy an about-to-be-replaced iPhone 6 for full price.
Nah, it's fine. I'd rather have the 6 now then wait for the 6s. Like I mentioned above, I will be able to upgrade next year when the 7 comes out, so it'll be good.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I can see your regret already, I'd wait for the 6s, you will have your 6 while your on these forums reading how awesome the 6s is with 2 gig ram and you'll regret not getting the latest model. It's too close to get a 6 now might as well wait. Your only appeasing your sister and not doing what you really want right?
Actually I wasn't planning on upgrading at all. I was planning on keeping my 5s till next year at the least. Now after using the 6 I think I might like it, and so getting the 6 would already be more than I expected. And plus I could upgrade as soon as next year when the 7 comes out.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Update: just found out that she'd rather just trade in her 16gb 5s for a new 32gb 5s.
Looks like I'll be holding out till next year, unless I want to buy one full price, or used. Now I really have to decide if i want to go for a 6 or 6s full price, or wait till next year, cause otherwise, if I decide to stick with the 5s, I need to change the battery soon, as it is getting quite horrible at holding a charge and was confirmed by AppleCare as totally consumed.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Ok, so now I am considering buying a used 6. I would need to sell my 5s b4 the prices go down on it once the 6s is released, so it'd need to be listed soon. I am wondering if I should go this route, or just stick with the 5s?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Ok, so now I am considering buying a used 6. I would need to sell my 5s b4 the prices go down on it once the 6s is released, so it'd need to be listed soon. I am wondering if I should go this route, or just stick with the 5s?

STICK WITH THE 5S!!!!

I don't think the upgrade from a 5S to a 6 is worth it, however I guess if you end up getting it pretty much for free it could be worth it...

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
STICK WITH THE 5S!!!!

I don't think the upgrade from a 5S to a 6 is worth it, however I guess if you end up getting it pretty much for free it could be worth it...
Yeah I probably would be putting out around $150 or so to upgrade, so not too much.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
STICK WITH THE 5S!!!!

I disagree.

I think 5s -> 6 might be one of the last great iPhone upgrades cuz I don't see Apple putting in anything as function as a larger screen upgrade for a long time.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yeah I probably would be putting out around $150 or so to upgrade, so not too much.

I guess thats not that bad... Is there any way to swing it so you can instead get a 6S in a month?

The 6 doesn't really have that much of a performance edge over the 6, and the camera isn't
I disagree.

I think 5s -> 6 might be one of the last great iPhone upgrades cuz I don't see Apple putting in anything as function as a larger screen upgrade for a long time.

I disagree as I find the larger screen upgrade as a preference thing (not really an improvement for all) but it could be for the OP so who knows. Regardless, its one of the smallest upgrades in terms of performance ever (The 6 has too little ram), a very small camera update and so on. Sure the 5S to 6 is a big upgrade in form (if you like bigger phones) but the 5S to the 6S will be a much bigger upgrade.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
Might as well hold out for next year if your budget is your current phone plus 150. 5S works just fine for some. Plus that's one less person that I'll need to contend with while ordering a phone next month. :)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I disagree as I find the larger screen upgrade as a preference thing (not really an improvement for all) but it could be for the OP so who knows. Regardless, its one of the smallest upgrades in terms of performance ever (The 6 has too little ram), a very small camera update and so on. Sure the 5S to 6 is a big upgrade in form (if you like bigger phones) but the 5S to the 6S will be a much bigger upgrade.
the irony here is while the 5s was a great performance upgrade spec wise, using it was almost indistinguishable from the 5 bar touchid.

on a similar token the only difference spec-wise that the 6s will make is larger ram which in practice will reduce tab reloading in safari; not exactly a revolutionary upgrade. altho with how close we are to 6s launch it doesn't make sense to buy a 6 at this point.

Last edited:

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
I disagree as I find the larger screen upgrade as a preference thing (not really an improvement for all) but it could be for the OP so who knows.
I really am not sure on the screen size thing. I like my 5s, but I've used the 6 a bit and think I could still use it with one hand. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll like the bigger screen. I'm unsure on it.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I really am not sure on the screen size thing. I like my 5s, but I've used the 6 a bit and think I could still use it with one hand. But that doesn't necessarily mean that I'll like the bigger screen. I'm unsure on it.
unless u got tiny hands using 6 one handed isn't an issue; 6+ is a dif story tho

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
unless u got tiny hands using 6 one handed isn't an issue; 6+ is a dif story tho

I don't have small hands and I can't use the 6 one handed. Its all down to screen size preferences etc.

OP: I still think that you'd be better off sticking it out with the 5S and going for the 6S or 7... I think you've already expressed that the move to the bigger screen isn't a major pulling factor, so that leaves the thinner body, slight performance improvement and NFC as benefits, which isn't that great.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I don't have small hands and I can't use the 6 one handed. Its all down to screen size preferences etc.

OP: I still think that you'd be better off sticking it out with the 5S and going for the 6S or 7... I think you've already expressed that the move to the bigger screen isn't a major pulling factor, so that leaves the thinner body, slight performance improvement and NFC as benefits, which isn't that great.
ur holding it wrong

iPhone-6-VS-iPhone-5s-001.jpg

iPhone 6 isn't much bigger than the 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.