Considering upgrading older iMac. What should I expect

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CultHero, Mar 4, 2012.

1. CultHero macrumors 6502

I have had my current 20 inch iMac since about 2006 and am very happy with it. For the most part it has been a problem free relationship and it still functions very well for what I ask of it.

It is running 10.7.3 and has a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 gig of RAM.

My question is, what improvements can I expect with upgrading to the latest and greatest? I know the display will be larger and HD, and the machine will be a lot faster, but anything else?

I don't currently run into any limitations with my iMac. I am able to do pretty much all that I want on it. I rip DVD's play music and TV, edit video and photography and surf the web etc. Nothing major.

I have started to notice that it can't handle the HD video I am getting from some of my cameras (a contour+ shooting in 1080p 30ffps or 720p 60ffps) for instance.

I know to expect speed improvements and I understand that Mountain Lion probably won't work on my iMac, but what else?

Thanks!

2. 7thMac macrumors 6502

It sounds like you have a good idea already. I have one of these 2006 models with 4GB. The main problem is speed. Otherwise it is still quite usable.