Considering Upgrading to a new MBP from an old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by James Cole, Feb 28, 2009.

1. James Cole macrumors 6502

Hello Guys... wanted your input...

I currently have a 17'' 2.4ghz 4gb Ram 160gb HD MBP, works fine no issues... But I really like the new 17'' Unibody... soooo basically is it worth it to do the switch... Will I notice much more performance in the new MBP and a much much better screen?

Or should I wait for something better more advanced from apple to come trough?

Let me know your thougts!!!

Thanks!
    JC

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Performance won't change much but if you have the money, it's a good upgrade.

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

if you dont have one from atleast march 08 17-incher with the penryn multi-touch, you'll also be getting these added features:

two nvidia cards..
    a more vibrant screen..
    faster processor..
    atleast twice the memory..
    atleast twice the hard drive..
    included new software like ilife '09..
    newer looks..
    free printer after rebate..
    and better battery life.

seems like a pretty big upgrade to me. plus u can sell ur old one and get some of ur money back! do it!! u only live once!! :)

4. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol... you got me going there... do you guys think that a fair price to sell my MBP could be 1450? Oh yea and by the way my MBP is Santa Rosa...

5. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

i figured urs wasnt the penryn multi-touch, which is even a bigger upgrade!! id do it.. i upgraded my penryn multi-touch and i am very satisfied.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

If it helps mate, I had a November 2007 15.4" Penryn 2.4 with 2GB RAM and a 7200rpm 160GB HDD, I think it was 160.
    Anyway, I HATED the keyboard on that model, so when I saw Apple were gong to launch a complete new model I was excited and planned to change it.
    So I changed to a new Unibody 2.53 15.4" with 4GB ram and a 7200RPM 320GB HDD.
    And all I have to say once I got one with a screen that wasn't faulty :rolleyes: then WOW, it is faster and more powerful to the extent you see the difference in everything you do. So even though it is the 15 inch model, the difference is MASSIVE and IMO it was well worth the change. I now have a computer I'm happy to keep for a long time.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you have the high resolution (1920 x 1200) LED-backlit screen? If so, then I don't think you'll actually get much out of the "upgrade". I haven't seen a comparison between the new and old 17" LED-backlit 1920 x 1280 screen, so I can't say that it's brighter. Supposedly, it's darker than the 15" Unibody's screen, and the old 17" MBP (with high-res screen) didn't have a dark screen anyway.

Benefits of unibody version:

+ possibly a brighter screen than previous 1920 x 1200 LED-backlit screen.
    + definitely a higher colour gamut (for graphics work....you won't really notice by watching movies)
    + definitely a greater battery life.
    + you don't have the faulty 8600M video card that may fail at any time.

If you have the 1680 x 1050 screen, all of which had the CCFL backlit screen, then you get even MORE by upgrading.

+ LED backlighting: no warm-up required for max brightness, less fading of backlight's maximum brightness over time.
    + brighter display.
    + higher resolution (but tiny text and icons)
    + a higher colour gamut (for graphics work....you won't really notice by watching movies)
    + a greater battery life.
    + you don't have the faulty 8600M video card that may fail at any time.

- you lose a FW400 port (you'll have 1 FW port instead of 2).

Anyway, if you want to get a new unibody 17" MBP, and you have the money to upgrade, then do so. ;) If you already have the 1920 x 1200 pixel version of the 17" MBP, it may not be worth it based on specs alone, but again, if you have the money, then.......

8. James Cole thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not have the 17'' with the 1920x1200 led backlit display... I believe there never was a Led for the 17'' until now, mine is the normal resolution glossy.

So you guys say yes then... Is the retail apple store my only option or do you guys now a way to get a better price???

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Try 3rd party sellers like Macmall, but you wont see it until Mid/Late-March

Do you qualify for ADC or Student discounts from Apple? Or both?

Tax backs?

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, the 15" MBP screen transitioned entirely to LED, but the 17" still used CCFL back-lighting for ALL their 1680 x 1050 resolution screens. They only had LED backlighting available for the high-resolution screen option (1920 x 1200). You would have only had an LED back-lit 17" MBP if you bought yours in early 2008, or later.

If that's the case, then you have more reason to upgrade than if you owned the version of the 17" MBP with the LED-backlit 1920 x 1200 screen.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I wouldn't upgrade until the Clarksfield laptop processors are released in the 17" MBP, in order to maximise the benefit of upgrading. You don't appear to need an upgrade other than to have the newest MBP design. ;) Without the benefit of far greater speeds, you're essentially paying A LOT of money (i.e. around another $1500 after selling your current 17" MBP for $1400, as planned) for a new case and LED-backlighting. If you wait until Clarksfield is released, or at least a decent speed bump, you definitely get your money's worth

However, if you want it, then that's all that matters. It's your money. There are still benefits to upgrading, so if you have the money, and it'll make you happy somehow, then go for it. ;)

12. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I have the same older MBP as you and was wondering the same thing after the announcement of the new uni-body's. I ended up buying the new 17" (see sig). Looking back now after about 2 weeks with the new notebook?
    Ahhh.... I could have waited probably and been better off depending on how long i had to wait to another bump in specs.
    I love the new uni-body however I also totally enjoyed the older model and never had any problems with it. I'm not used to the new glass-track pad yet and love the old one anyway. The keyboard is/was a toss up for me. I really liked the older style and I'm still getting used to the new style. I think I'm beginning to turn the corner and like the new style better. It's seems more stable to the touch and reacts faster or better for my fingers. I do like the back lighting better. The screen on the new uni-body is much better no question (did not have the LCD on the older one).
    I've noticed the fans on the new uni-body rarely flare up to top speed and I know for sure the new uni-body does not heat up as much as my older one. My older MBP actually got very hot on my lap often. The battery life on the new uni-body is much better than on the older model. I would get 2 to 2 1/2 hours out of the battery and now I can get an easy 6 if I want. When using Photo shop, watching a movie or playing the occasion COD4 I will only get about 4 hours out of the battery. That is still pretty good.

I really don't notice much difference in speed? Yes I can tell there is some but not a lot. I have also noticed the speakers on the new uni-body are much worse than on my older MBP. No question something happened with the speakers. I can set the two notebooks together and play the same sounds and the older model speakers are much better. I don't use the external speakers that often so that did not matter much to me anyway.

The build quality is the new uni-body is far better and there is no question that is better no matter what. My older one seems to be a little delicate at times and the new uni-body seems like a rock.
    Personally I don't care for the side loading drive, I use a mouse and of course that is always in the way when placing something in the drive. I understand this is a small creature comfort but thought I would mention it. The front loading drive just seemed better and easier.

So there are my thoughts on the two notebooks having both. I will add I purchased my son the new 15" uni-body and his seems to have a brighter screen. Just a little FYI.

Good luck on the choice. It's a difficult one especially when you could be waiting for a long time for another bump in specs.

13. MBPDiva macrumors regular

There's your answer. :D