Consistent colours between 27" iMac and 27" LED Cinema Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xenc, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a 27" LED Cinema Display for use as secondary monitor with one of my 27" iMacs.

It is important that the colours are consistent between the two panels, as they will be used for processing photographs. The closer to identical they are, the better.

Is this possible to achieve?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Have you got a hardware colour calibrator? Something like a Spyder device?

3. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I do indeed have a Spyder device. Currently my second monitor is a LaCie, which doesn't match the iMac colours, even after calibration.

I was hoping the similarities between the iMac and LED Cinema Display would make this an easier goal to reach.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Calibration will come close, but never 100%, not to mention 100% doesn't matter anyway since there are a million variables from the camera, to the monitors, to the profiles the printer or lab uses. If your colors between the lacie and the iMac are really off then its likely just a software setting. Not to mention if the lacie is matte and the iMac is glossy you will get less vivid colors on the lacie since matte disperses light.

5. Xenc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Thanks guys. I'm going to give the LED Cinema Display a go, it'll be nice to have two glossy screens.