Consistent error copying files from Leopard to Windows/Samba servers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danfluidmind, Nov 8, 2007.

1. danfluidmind macrumors newbie

Leopard seems to have a bug in its CIFS implementation. When copying a folder with many sub-folders and files to a CIFS share, I consistently get the following error, which completely halts the copy:

There is not, however, a permissions issue. A few of the files and folder are in fact copied. But never very many. If I drag individual files over, they copy just fine. It's only when I drag a folder that contains sub-folders.

This error occurs every time I try it. It happens when copying to a Windows 2003 server, a Linux server running Samba, or even a Mac running HELIOS PCShare. It does NOT occur when connected to those same servers using AFP. This is only a CIFS issue.

It also does NOT occur when copying to any of these servers from a Mac running OS X 10.4. This is distinctly a Leopard problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to fix it? And does anyone know where I should go to report this bug to Apple?

Thanks
    --Dan

2. danfluidmind thread starter macrumors newbie

Just figured out what's causing this problem. It has nothing to do with sub-folders as I previously thought.

If a folder contains any files that begin with "._" and you try to copy it to a Windows/Samba share it will fail to copy that folder and all of its contents.

Try this:

1) Open the Terminal and type the following commands:

mkdir test
    echo "hello" > test/._test
    echo "hello" > test/test

That will create a folder containing two small files named "test" and "._test"

2) Try to copy that folder in the Finder to a Windows or Samba share.

You will get the "you do not have sufficient privileges" error. The test folder will be created on the server, but the "test" file will not by copied. Oddly, the "._test" file will be created on the server, but will have no contents.

Again, this error does NOT occur on OS X 10.4. Only on 10.5.

I've submitted a bug report to Apple.

--Dan

3. omnibahumut macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks! This will really help in copying my schoolwork to my windows machine!