console clamAV question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tug, May 24, 2011.

1. tug macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's your antivirus app updating its virus definitions. Why do you have it running at all? There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

3. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the quick response gg, i use clamxav should i get rid? also do you think its this thats bringing console up only, or could it be something else

thanks again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The log is showing ClamXav updating definitions, nothing more. You don't necessarily have to uninstall it, but you certainly don't need it running all the time. Make sure nothing related to it is in your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts > youraccount. Also, check ClamXav preferences, to make sure nothing is set to run automatically, such as updates. If it were me, I'd simply uninstall it completely. As I said earlier, you don't need antivirus to protect your Mac from malware; only some basic understanding and common sense. If you take the time to read the link I posted, you'll know all you need to know to keep your Mac safe from malware.

5. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

ok mate, im gonna get rid of it. i have read it, and its good advice,

big thanks again gg.