Console errors every 10 seconds?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sman591, Feb 4, 2011.

1. sman591 macrumors newbie

Hey there,

My MacBook pro's been on for almost 4 days now (normally gets shut down every night), and it's starting to freeze for 3-10 seconds every 5 minutes or so. I went into the console to see if any errors were popping up, and found that the following kept repeating every 10 seconds:

I'm not sure if this is leading to my freeze error, but I don't think these things are good (especially since they're showing up every 10 seconds). Is there a way to get rid of them, without reinstalling Mac OS X?

2. calderone, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Yes you can.

Those are all LaunchAgents, so you can remove the launchd plists that launchd is using to (try to) start those processes.

I assume you got rid of some software recently? Namely Boxee, PdaNet and FlipVideo?

Here is where to look:
    ~/Library/LaunchAgents
    /Library/LaunchAgents

Here is what to look for:
    tv.boxee.helper.plist
    com.jft.PdaNetMac.plist
    com.flipvideo.FlipShareAutoRun

Here is what to do (choose one):
    1. If you indeed do not have or want this software any more, remove those files and anything else related to that software here (they will follow the same reverse domain pattern).

2. If you still want this software, find out what happened to them. Did you accidentally delete them? Did you try to sort them in the Applications folder? Try to fix the issue (you can in the meantime time just move those plists to your Desktop while you sort it out).

3. If those applications have uninstallers, running it should clean those up for you, but it depends on how it was written as it may not like that the original Application itself is missing, but in general it should work.

Determine your course of action and report back if you have any trouble.

3. sman591 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, everything's working except for pdanetmac:

I looked in /Library/LaunchAgents/, /Library/LaunchDaemons/, and ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ and couldn't find anything relating to pdanetmac. Would there be anything else on my computer that would start those errors?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Try /Library/StartupItems

It is deprecated, but those who don't keep with the trends may still use it.

5. sman591 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, isn't there either. Would re-installing the app and deleting the files it creates work?

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

I think the app comes with an uninstall script. To see if you have such a script, please open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in the following. The press return.

Code:
    ls -l ~/Pda*
    Post the output.

7. sman591 thread starter macrumors newbie

Output:

Code:
    ls: /Users/stuartn/Pda*: No such file or directory

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Oh well. So much for that. Is there any file in your Home that has a name like pdanet and a .sh suffix?

Google "uninstall pdanetmac" for more.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Looks like they decided to ignore best practice and they stuck it in

Code:
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
    Not cool, but there you go.

10. sman591 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That got rid of it. I should have looked to see if that existed before...