Console in Fallout 4 (Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Grogfoot, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Grogfoot macrumors member

Grogfoot

Opening the console in Fallout 4 is supposedly by hitting the tild button (~), but it does absolutely nothing for me. Clearly its got to be a Mac/Bootcamp-keyboard issue, but I can't figure out what to do.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to activate the console in Fallout 4 on Mac running Bootcamp, Windows 10?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Have you tried pressing shift+~ to see if that works? Do you have the Boot Camp driver package installed on your machine? If no to the former and yes to the latter, try plugging a Windows keyboard into your machine. If you don't have one, you should be able to pick one up for a couple dollars from a thrift shop.

3. Grogfoot thread starter macrumors member

Grogfoot

Yes, every key combination associated with the `/~ key I could think of. Some have reported that on some international keyboards it is the @ symbol instead, but I've tried just about every key in that row combined with Shift, alt and command, without any luck.

I'm using the Apple extended, so that's a good idea to try a cheap PC keyboard. I don't have one, but should be easy to get. Thanks for responding.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

As in an old-school, mechanical switch AEK? If so, that could very well be why you're having trouble. Old keyboards like that don't always play well with modern systems, especially since those old Apple ones were from the days when Boot Camp wasn't even a glimmer in Steve Jobs' eyes.

5. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Since you mention "international keyboards", am I correct that you do not use the US english keyboard layout? If so, there's your problem.

6. FatalDarkness macrumors newbie

Fallout 4 has two internal keyboard mappings. Press "Alt+Shift" to switch between them.
    In other words, once your in the game press "Alt+Shift" and then ~ will work as expected.

7. Grogfoot thread starter macrumors member

Grogfoot

I think I miswrote that. By extended I just meant the wide version you have to add separately to desktop computer orders from Apple (still currently sold).
    No, its the US/English version and is what is chosen within Windows as well. I just wrote that to point out that other keys are used for that function, depending on the keyboard. Thought maybe the Mac/Bootcamp Apple keyboard system might be similar.
    Ohhhh, maybe I didn't try all three together. Gotta try that out tonight. Fingers crossed.

8. Grogfoot thread starter macrumors member

Grogfoot

Rats, still doesn't bring up the console.

9. Grogfoot thread starter macrumors member

Grogfoot

Ha, I stumbled across it completely by accident while typing in a new name for a weapon at the bench.

For some completely unknown reason, the console is brought up by the ' key. Yes, the single quotation mark key. :)

10. MattXDA macrumors 6502

MattXDA