Console into switches/routers

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Nanookfan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Nanookfan macrumors member

Hi. Does anyone use there MBP or MBAir to console into switches and routers? I'm looking for a way to do this with my MBAir instead of carrying around my much heavier Windows based laptop. Anyone know of a program for the Macs such as Putty or Hyperterm that are used with Windows? Another thought, are you able to do this directly with Terminal instead of needing a third party program?

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

3. jon8214, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

jon8214 macrumors regular

I use ZTERM to console into Cisco routers and switches, but for it to work you need a usb to serial cable that is compatable with mac. You can SSH directly into Cisco kit using Term, but the problem with that is you need to set SSH up on the switch/router first so for that reason i use the above program.

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Are you referring to logging in via a physical serial connection or do you just need to Telnet and/or SSH into a box over a network?

SSH is part of OSX, and can be used to access a machine over a network, like Putty. The rest of these suggestions are for physical connections to a terminal.

6. Nanookfan thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'm talking about physically connecting and consoling into Cisco switches with a USB to serial connection. I guess I could have been a little more specific.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

7. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I should have known - you mentioned hyperterm - but I was just making sure :)