console.log = 4.3 GB. Safe to delete?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Yes, the console.log file is over 4 gigs. How can I get rid of it?

I tried using the console utility, but it never opened it up. In fact, the system became unresponsive and I had to do a hard restart. (In fact, now the offending log file is named console.log.1).

I'm running 10.3.9. Can I just delete this sucker or what?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Delete it and restart. There's a bug in OSX whereby these log files grow to fill your hard drive. It usually happens quite quickly so you'd know about it by now. It's safe to delete them/it though. :)

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I'm having this happen quite regularly lately running Panther on my iBook G4. Any more definitive solutions than that? It gets annoying doing this once or twice a week.

Update: found this on Apple discussion boards. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2005
I'm having this happen quite regularly lately running Panther on my iBook G4. Any more definitive solutions than that? It gets annoying doing this once or twice a week.

Update: found this on Apple discussion boards. I'll give it a shot and report back.
Yeah, make a cron task to do it for you.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Actually deleting the itunes plist as suggested in the Apple forum seems to have done the trick -- just 100K after an hour of use. That's better than a cron job, methinks....