Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
My friends powerbook suddenly claimed to be almost completely filled. I downloaded disc inventory x which could tell us that a file called console.log took up 27 of his precious Gb.

147301029_c2608586db.jpg

Well, we kicked out the entire folder called '501', but it said it couldn't complete the process because console.log was in use!

However the rest of the contents (console.log.7, console.log.8, etc....) was erased and, even more importantly, console.log now only takes up 4K.

So problem solved for the moment. But what the heck was that and how did it get there?

A

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Sometimes log files just like to grow instantly and run away and grow bigger with every step. :).

Talk about a technical explanation.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yep...sometimes they just do stupid things like that. If you were really curious, you could have dug into the log to try to figure out what caused it. But that's not really worth pursuing unless it happens multiple times.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Yeah this has happened a few times - not really a true explanation - can happen by a number of things.

mcadam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
københavn
Well, the relaxed tone of all your answers are very comforting :)

I did try to open it to see what it was, but realised it was probably silly to make his already overloaded pb open a file of 23 Gb, so we stopped that.

Thanks for taking the time...

A

qtpie36963

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
My friends powerbook suddenly claimed to be almost completely filled. I downloaded disc inventory x which could tell us that a file called console.log took up 27 of his precious Gb.

147301029_c2608586db.jpg

Well, we kicked out the entire folder called '501', but it said it couldn't complete the process because console.log was in use!

However the rest of the contents (console.log.7, console.log.8, etc....) was erased and, even more importantly, console.log now only takes up 4K.

So problem solved for the moment. But what the heck was that and how did it get there?

A

I have the same issue, so is it cool to delete this file?? Because mine log.7 file takes up 25 gigs on a 65gig hard drive?!? LOL... Can I delete it or will it hurt something on my powerbook?!

Thanks!!

OMFG HAXX!

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
I have the same issue, so is it cool to delete this file?? Because mine log.7 file takes up 25 gigs on a 65gig hard drive?!? LOL... Can I delete it or will it hurt something on my powerbook?!

Thanks!!

It's perfectly fine to delete it.

ElectricSheep

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Wilmington, DE

Thanks!!

Yes, you can safely delete the console log files (and any other log file). Their existence is purely information.

I would personally take a look to see what is in those log files. It seems like something is repeatedly logging the same message over and over to the console log. If its an error message, you might want to know what that error message says.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.