Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeDiBoYTJ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
for the past couple months, ive noticed my free space slowly going down no matter how many times ive freed up space. sometimes, it would even get down to ZERO Kb Available. I couldnt figure out why, and it was really beginning to annoy me. then after some deep investigations, i found a console log folder that was almost 10GB large. now im thinking... this is just a log file... just a bunch of text, why is it so large? IT takes too long to open, and im not really having any problems with my computer, so i dont think i need to read logs back from May.

So, is it safe to delete these files, and is there anyway I can stop these files from showing up in such large quantities?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
delete them. this happens sometimes, the log won't automatically flush itself like it's supposed to. Keep an eye on it, but deleting it will probably make it work right again.

Linkjeniero

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Mac OS X has three maintenance scripts to delete logs and stuff like that. They are suppossed to run automaticly at 3am or something like that; but if you want, you can run them manually with:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

There's also a lazy way: using MacJanitor (an app that runs the scripts)

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
JeDiBoYTJ said:
for the past couple months, ive noticed my free space slowly going down no matter how many times ive freed up space. sometimes, it would even get down to ZERO Kb Available. I couldnt figure out why, and it was really beginning to annoy me. then after some deep investigations, i found a console log folder that was almost 10GB large. now im thinking... this is just a log file... just a bunch of text, why is it so large? IT takes too long to open, and im not really having any problems with my computer, so i dont think i need to read logs back from May.

So, is it safe to delete these files, and is there anyway I can stop these files from showing up in such large quantities?

Delete them with ease. Your Mac does not rely on them at all.

As for the issue, there are options to switch off Console storing log files. I would search Apples knowledge base articles for more information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.